Syntorial is a synthesizer training app, that will teach you how to program synth patches by ear. By combining video demonstrations with interactive challenges, you’ll get hands on experience programming patches on a built-in soft synth, and learn everything you need to know to start making your own sounds with ease.
"Syntorial is the most direct route between hearing a sound in your head and knowing how to bring it to life." - Electronic Musician Magazine
"The most comprehensive and fun tool for learning synthesizer programming, hands down." - Keyboard Magazine
“The best training in synth sound-design we’ve come across. A unique and fun way to train your ears in re-creating synth sounds.” - MusicTech Magazine
* Electronic Musician Editor's Choice 2014 *
• Interactive Learning: Syntorial doesn’t just show you how synth programming works. It engages you in Interactive Challenges in which you program patches on a built-in synth. You aren’t just learning how to design sound, you are becoming a sound designer.
• For Musicians, Not Physicists: Instead of talking about the science and physics behind synthesizers, Syntorial will show you how each control effects sound, as well as when, why and how you would use them when designing sounds. This is information that you can immediately apply to real-life situations.
• It's All About The Ear: One step at a time, Syntorial trains your ear to recognize how each control shapes and manipulates sound. By the end of the program you’ll be able to take the sounds you hear and re-create them, completely by ear.
• Challenges: Learn by doing! Complete challenges by programming patches with Syntorial’s built-in synth.
• Videos: Everything is taught through video demonstrations using the same synth that you’ll use in the challenges.
• Patches: Program, program, program. After all, that’s what it’s all about, right? By the end you will have programmed tons of patches, from simple to complex, familiar to strange.
• Quizzes: Multiple choice questions to help you retain and remember everything you learn.
• On Your Own: Syntorial will give you periodic tasks to be carried out on your own with whatever synth(s) you use.
• Subtractive synthesis
• Three Oscillators (Two with Waveform, Pitch, Pulse Width, and Mix controls, and a Sub oscillator with Waveform and Volume controls)
• Saw, Pulse, Triangle and Sine waveforms
• FM knob
• Noise Oscillator
• Oscillator Sync
• Filter (Low, Band and High Pass) with Resonance and Key Tracking
• ADSR Filter Envelope
• ADSR Amp Envelope
• AD Modulation Envelope
• LFO with four waveforms, seven destinations, rate, amount, trigger, and mono/poly modes
• Mono and Poly Voice Modes
• Unison with Voice, Detune and Spread controls
• Ring Modulation
• Distortion, Chorus, Phaser, Delay, and Reverb effects
• Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel and Velocity controls
FREE VS UPGRADE
The free app comes with the first 22 Lessons, additional Lesson Pack samples, as well as Syntorial's fully featured synth. Upgrade to get:
• All 199 Lessons, including 129 Challenges, 147 Videos, and 706 Patches covering the most common synthesis parameters.
• Additional Lesson Packs covering Massive, Sylenth1, Cakewalk Z3TA+ 2 and Minimoog Voyager, each containing 30+ videos. More Lesson Packs planned for the future.
• Pay once and get access to all of the above on iPad, Mac and PC. Sync your progress across all 3 platforms. Train where you want, when you want, and how you want.
• Plugin version of Syntorial's synth, Primer. Program, record and play Primer in your favorite desktop recording software. VST (Mac/PC) and AU (Mac).
Syntorial: A New Way To Learn Synthesis
• New feature: Preset exporting. From the Preset menu, select "User Presets", and then tap "Export" at the bottom. You'll then be able to access the latest version of your presets via the Files app on your iPad, or iTunes File Sharing on your computer.
• Bug fix: Bluetooth headphones were only receiving a mono signal from the synth. Now it's stereo.
• Few additional minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I got the synth bug almost a year ago, since then I’ve read books and watched countless videos and while they taught me what this and that does it never got fully across the how and why! This is hands on, Joe explains each section clearly in an easy to understand way, then sets you challenges that you have to complete that get progressively harder as you progress, then encourages you to try the same techniques on any synth you may already own. On top of Syntorial there are extras that guide you through particular synths like massive, serum and Moogs voyager and a few others. Another great feature is you can download it to your iPad and carry on away from your daw and carry on where you left off on your computer later. Great for the dinner break at work. It may be expensive, but it’s worth every penny. I just hope in the future there’s an add on for the Moog subsequent 37 wink wink, cough cough 😂
It’s one thing to read but another to try
Great app, put the time in and you will be rewarded. Either obsess for perfect scores each time or skip through faster and come back later if want to. Love the dev support too.
Best investment i made this year
This in my own opinion is one of the best apps to have to learn about synths properly. Since on-barking on this Syntorial app i Have gained better understanding and knowledge of what and why I'm programming. No more guessing if its right or wrong.
- Audible Genius, LLC
- 213.4 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Audible Genius, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade To Full Version £129.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.