Tape. Classic style recording with contemporary functionality - for iPad.
Tape is a beautiful recording solution, with easy to use 2-track recording, instant mastering, customisable tape artwork and social media connectivity.
Record from the inbuilt iPad microphone or any Core Audio compliant audio interface (including products from the Focusrite iTrack and Scarlett product ranges), and instantly add polish with one button mastering. Then simply add a title and album artwork and share online with friends and fans via Soundcloud.
– Record two separate inputs, or link them as a stereo pair
– Use the meters to ensure input levels are just right
– Plug and play support for Core Audio Compliant audio interfaces (including the Focusrite iTrack Solo and Scarlett range)
– Low latency monitoring allows you to listen to your performance as you record
– Apply vocal channel strip FX to the inputs
– Apply mastering effects and instantly improve your recording
– Trim the start and end points of your song
– Playback and scrub through the audio with the tape heads
– Keep time with an adjustable metronome
– Apply a custom title and image to your music
– Share your recording online via Soundcloud (free Soundcloud account required) or Email
– Copy and paste audio from Tape to GarageBand
– Export to Mac or PC via iTunes
– Audiobus support
– Works on iPad 2, iPad (3rd gen), iPad (4th gen), iPad Air, iPad mini and iPad mini with Retina Display
– Monitoring when using Audiobus can cause glitches in audio. Known work-around is to start Audiobus first
This version contains a few minor bugfixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Import audio file
Lovely app, although it's shame you can't import your own mixes and take advantage of the mastering section. Maybe a future upgrade? Just an idea.
The sound quality of this app is all you would hope for. The features are not. It doesn't need more effects or turning into a mini-studio. It simply needs to improve the number of places from which you can import and export.
I can record fantastically great sounding stuff using this with an acoustic and a vocal mike. I then want to push it into Cubasis to edit and add effects, eq, compression etc. Make it easier someone.
Tape - Loyalty
Given that the Focusrite Itrack dock is still selling with Tape pictured as a recommended app you would be right in expecting some commitment to this app. However the providers now state that ‘Tape is no longer recommended by us!!’ Does this mean it will not be updated for previous loyal Focusrite Itrack customers as there are now problems with iOS 12. Buttons failing to play or record?!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.