Writing and compiling TeX files on the go. No internet connection needed.
FULL TeX/LaTeX SUPPORT
- Supports both plain TeX and LaTeX, output PDF;
- Supports XeLaTeX (online compiling, requires PRO subscription);
- Fast compiler optimized for iOS devices;
- On-demand package auto downloader, including big packages like beamer;
- Integrated BibTeX/MakeIndex;
- Support multi-file project with comment "%!TEX root=main.tex"
DESIGNED FOR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS
- A text editor designed for LaTeX editing. With syntax highlighting, customizable assistant keyboard, powerful commands.
- Outline view. Works for multi-file project.
- Side by side PDF preview with auto reload after compilation.
- TeX-aware spell checking (cmd -> spell)
- Handy customizable assistant keyboard for inserting special characters.
- Open .tex file from other applications
- export & print pdf
- Customizable UI appearance (via twilit.l)
- Dropbox and OneDrive syncing, with file comparison and manual conflict resolution
- PDF export/email
- Package download acceleration;
- Automatic eps-to-pdf conversion with online service;
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Length of subscription is 1 year
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication"
- Privacy and Term of Use: https://apps.texwriter.net/about.html
HOW TO GET HELP
- Visit https://apps.texwriter.net for user guide, and templates for russian, chinese, japanese.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to send bug report and feature requests.
- Or directly talk to @litchiedev on Twitter.
- Fix crash when running on iPad Pro w/ iOS 12.2
Ratings and Reviews
Very useful & fast
I initially balked at paying nearly £10 for an app that I wasn’t sure would do what I needed but I’m glad I took the plunge.
Handles the paper I’m working on with aplomb. Performance is impressive (although I’m using on an iPad 10.5) and the PDF previewer is very helpful. I’m not doing anything sophisticated with the LaTeX I’m writing but have not had any issues. It’s always generated the correct output given the input and correctly raised errors when I’ve made mistakes. Has also seamlessly working with the .cls file I’m using and bibtex source.
I’m using an external keyboard which I suspect helps a lot.
I’ve given 4 starts, not 5, as although the interface works I think it needs more tutorial or manual info to explain. I don’t always find it intuitive. For example, I’m not a fan of the bespoke select, copy and pasting functionality - I don’t understand why the app doesn’t just use standard iOS capabilities? I agree with other reviewers that it would be nice to have spellchecking integrated too.
Apart from interface improvements, my main feature request would be to support the PDF previewer side by side with the main editing window. Fortunately the app supports iOS split screen, so I have a workaround of export the generated PDF into a separate PDF app and displaying alongside Tex Writer. Not as nice though as automatically updating whenever PDF
is regenerated in Tex Writer.
So overall a good, productive app - with scope to improve and be even better.
Developer Response ,
I hope you find 5.0 useful.
Best offline LaTeX compiler on iOS
Although there is one competitor on iOS with offline typesetting capabilities, namely Texpad, TeX Writer excels in almost every way. It has a solid file manager, with Files app integration. It supports multitasking technology on iPad perfectly. It has tons of customisation and scripting capabilities. It can show `tex` and `PDF` simultaneously, with horizontal split in landscape and vertical split in portrait orientation. Moreover, it has a transparent package management solution, i.e., the same old way as managing any files. The only thing that probably holds some people back from TeX Writer is that it's more like an app written developers. For example, the editor draws inspirations from Emacs and customisation requires editing a plain text configuration file.
There is a bug causing the keyboard to float when the copy paste shortcuts are turned on. This has been the case for a few months. I hope it can be fixed soon.
LaTeX on the go
Latex on the iPad that just works. So convenient being able to take my work with me with a small iPad footprint. Obviously typing on an iPad is not ideal over long periods of time but it’s great when travelling or working on the train/in coffee shops etc.
Also, the developer is active, having recently added split screen support which allows for editing of tex files while simultaneously viewing the PDF. For me this was the only thing I thought was missing from the app before.
- Chaoji Li
- 65 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © (C) 2012-2018, Chaoji Li.
- In-App Purchases
- Full Features £4.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.