150 years after the start of the American Civil War, HISTORY presents The Civil War Today, an award-winning app created exclusively for the iPad. For less than one penny per day you can experience the war as it unfolded, one day at a time, with daily updates that let you live the events in “real-time” over the course of four years.
***Member of the iTunes App Store Essentials Hall of Fame***
***iTunes App of the Week selection***
The Civil War Today leverages the iPad multi-touch interface to enable app users to feel and explore thousands of original documents, photos, maps, diary entries, quotes, and newspaper broadsheets like never before.
The Civil War Today includes:
• Daily Civil War updates from April 12, 2011 through April 26, 2015. The app content updates ONE DAY AT A TIME, precisely mirroring the events of 150 years ago
• “In the Headlines” featuring newspapers from every day of the war.
• Running tallies of the North and South casualty counts.
• “A Day in the Life” with personal letters and diary entries from 15 individuals including Abraham Lincoln, Horatio Nelson Taft, and Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut.
• Photo of the day and photo galleries.
• Quote of the day.
• Articles and video on featured topics.
• Authentic period maps from key battlegrounds.
• Daily North-South quiz.
• Detailed background scenes that put you in the time and place of the Civil War. (Northern city, Southern plantation, Western frontier town, military camp).
• Twitter integration to send a telegram via morse code.
• Airplay integration for viewing of app video via Apple TV.
• Advanced multi-finger gesture functionality and custom toolbar for deep navigation.
Witness the Civil War play out 150 years later, one day at a time, in this first-of-its-kind app.
** Fixed an issue that prevented users from advancing to the “The War Ends” card
** Various other bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Civil War Today
A must for anyone interested in the Civil War. The app works really well and the contents give a real flavour of how it all happened. A couple of suggestions. The maps are great but would be much better if events were superimposed on them. Too difficult on one screen to relate events to map. The autobiographies are great but would be better if a description of each person was added. If it is I haven't found it.
Having studied the Civil War at university the chance to buy this app was too good to resist. I have been lucky no major problems at all the newspapers and diaries are excellent. It's still early days as I a working my way around it , but so far so good!
Great for military history enthusiasts, date does not always change to current date when opening but apart from that good overall
- A&E Television Networks Mobile
- 76.9 MB
Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2015: A&E Television Networks, LLC.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.