Each week over 1.5 million subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them with The Economist app.
Free to download. New users can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. Users on iOS 10.2 or below will need to update their phone to access the app. Otherwise The Economist classic app is available to enjoy our weekly edition.
Already a subscriber? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist details.
The Economist is a trusted, independent, finishable filter on world affairs, offering in-depth analysis of business, finance, economics, science, technology, arts and culture. Whether it’s the latest developments in the Trump administration, the rise of automation in the workplace, the economic impact of environmental change or the case for legalising drugs, The Economist has it covered.
• A morning briefing to prepare you for the day ahead (Economist Espresso)
• A daily selection of curated articles, combining news updates with highlights from the weekly issue
• Full access to the weekly edition of The Economist (digital and audio versions)
As well as full access to the weekly edition, the app includes additional daily updates with articles from The Economist along with Economist Espresso, a morning briefing highlighting the most important things you need to know each day. All of the articles from the weekly magazine are available to listen to in audio, along with selected daily updates
FREE TO DOWNLOAD
Full app features:
• The weekly edition available every Thursday evening London time
• Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
• Daily Picks: a daily selection of curated articles
• Economist Espresso: a morning briefing published every weekday, and on Saturday
• Notifications of the latest cover stories and key articles
• Reading times highlighted on each article
• Bookmarking to allow users to save articles for later, or create their own collection
• Support for iPhone and iPad
• All users on iOS 11.2 or above can subscribe to The Economist within the app and take advantage of an introductory subscription offer. At the end of the introductory term, the subscription will automatically renew onto a quarterly subscription at the standard price
• Annual subscriptions are also available
You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by iTunes
• Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase.
• Introductory offers, annual and quarterly subscriptions automatically renew
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours before the end of the current period, at a cost of £44.99/$45.99/€69.99 (for a quarterly subscription) or £159.99/$189.99/€229.99 (for an annual subscription)
• You can manage auto-renewal of your subscription from your iTunes account settings at any time, but must be turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period to avoid being charged again
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
- Never miss a new issue! Get notified in the app when the new weekly edition is published
- Get an in-app reminder of the last article you read with the new continue reading feature and then easily scroll back to where you were
- Track length. See audio track length in-article before you play
- Various bug fixes and performance enhancements
Keep your Economist app updated for exciting new features over the next few months
Ratings and Reviews
The best news app you can get
It’s amazing how you can get the most important news from across the globe written in such an interesting and witty way literally at your fingertips. Bonus: you can also listen to the news while you’re busy with something else so you’re being updated in every possible way. It really helped me with both my studies and personal development as I’ve become a more intelligent conversationalist:)) It’s a shame that my school subscription will end soon and I don’t know if I’ll afford it at university but I’ll try my best because it’s really worth it! I strongly recommend it!
Since writing my initial review, the app has been updated and images now consistently load reasonably quickly. The only point of criticism I made that still stands is the layout of the “Daily Picks” page, which still has a massive amount of space dedicated to images. This is most noticeable on a larger screen. There is no reason for each article recommendation to take up the entire screen; it would make more sense for the page to be laid out similarly to the “This Week” section.
I would like to add some other suggestions. The implementation of a search function would make browsing previous issues within the app much easier; currently the most efficient way of doing this is through a web browser. Furthermore, there’s currently a lot of ‘dead space’ in the UI. Again I’ll make the comparison to the New York Times’ app: so much more information can be conveyed in a much smaller space by changing the layout.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently making major improvements to the experience and regularly release new changes and bug fixes. Please update your app to the latest version. If you still have issues, do let us know. Thank you - Economist Product Team
Pretty good experience
Overall the app is well designed and makes it a pleasure to read. The only annoying things I’ve noticed are, firstly, that the “read” ticks that appear on articles you’ve already read seem to jump two articles every time I open the app so that if I’ve read up to, say, article three in a section, when I next open the app the first five articles will be ticked. It’s a small issue but annoying when you can’t remember your place and it’s always two articles. Secondly when I scroll down an article quickly the top navigation bar “jumps” up and down. Other than those two quirks it’s a very clean reading experience and updates and downloads are much smoother than the old version.
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 54.8 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Three month subscription £55.99
- One year subscription £179.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.