Our global coverage offers distinctive insight and incisive analysis. Start your 7-day free trial now.*
Each week over 1.5m subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them by downloading The Economist app.
The app includes a handpicked daily selection of the best of our journalism, along with the full weekly version of The Economist newspaper to read or listen to on the go.
Already a subscriber to The Economist? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist login details.
The Economist is an award-winning, trusted filter on global affairs, offering in-depth analysis of everything from business, finance and politics to science, technology and economics. It covers every region of the world including the United States, Britain, Europe, Asia and Latin America. The Economist is also available as a weekly magazine.
• Top stories: the latest news analysis combined with highlights from the weekly issue
• Economist Espresso: a short morning briefing on the day’s global agenda
• The Economist weekly edition: full access to the weekly version of The Economist
• The audio version of the weekly edition to listen to on the go
• A selection of our podcasts, including The Intelligence, a daily burst of illumination from The Economist’s worldwide network of correspondents
• A morning briefing on the day ahead
• Timely analysis of the world’s biggest stories, updated by the end of the day
• The weekly edition available from 9 pm every Thursday evening London time
• Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
• Reading times highlighted on each article
• Bookmarks to save articles for later or create personal reading lists
• Subscribe in-app and take advantage of our introductory subscription offer
• Subscribe in-app and take advantage of our 7-day free trial
• At the end of the trial, the subscription will automatically renew onto a monthly subscription at the standard price. Annual and quarterly subscriptions are also available in some regions
• You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by Apple. Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase
• All subscriptions automatically renew. Your account will be charged 24 hours before the renewal date, at a cost of £19.99/$19.99/€24.99 for a monthly subscription
*Some countries may offer alternative pricing plans.
• Improved stability and performance
• Updated weekly to show download progress
Ratings and Reviews
Login not working
This is a review about the app. Suddenly, the app has stopped working properly. I was reading through articles on the app, when I was asked to login. After trying numerous times unsuccessfully, resetting my password and reinstalling the app, my password and login details are still 'not recognised'. This is despite me being able to login perfectly well on the website.
I pay a lot of money to subscribe to quality journalism (I’ve been a subscriber for nearly 8 years) and I am currently being denied access to the Economist in my most convenient manner, the App. The website is harder to navigate and find content. Please rectify this forthwith.
Moreover, it is disappointing to no longe have a dedicated troubleshooting email address; the live chat is clunky and I was stuck for some time in the queue, and it’s no good when the app malfunctions on a weekend and you have to wait two days to be able to telephone. Please resolve these issues.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and I'm sorry to hear you had trouble contacting us. We're in the process of extending our opening times, so please do check the Contact Us page for updated opening times. For a period on Saturday, September 4th and Sunday, September 5th, we experienced an issue with The Economist app which meant some users may have been unable to log in. We can confirm that the issue has been fully resolved and you should now be able to log into the app as normal. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused - Melanie
Audio irretrievably broken.
The audio edition in app just seems to go from bad to worse! I remember years ago the audio would reliably download in the background and ACTUALLY work offline. Now even when audio is ‘downloaded’ it seems to require an internet connection to actually begin playback.
If the audio is or isn’t downloaded, getting it to play is actually a daily challenge in and off itself. It is beyond unreliable and has been for many many versions. I always install updates and I’m consistently disappointed. The most common thing is for the app to seemingly do nothing when I press play and then “Something went wrong, try again later” about 45 seconds later. This often requires a force quit to resolve. Usually 3 force quits before the audio actually works.
I don’t understand how it is seeming so difficult to implement a feature literally any other app which plays audio manages to do? That feature being actual playback. It’s so broken and I’m sorely let down by this. Support is quite useless at this & you always get the same coined response or ‘we regularly release updates’ blah blah blah. Quit “handling” people and just sort out the app.
The worst app on iOS (due to audio)
The title says it all. This is the single worst app experience I have ever had and I’m paying for the honour! The rating needs to split more clearly; I give it 5/5 for journalism & content, 5/5 for narration, 3/5 for UI but what ruins it almost entirely is the audio. Put simply, it’s totally useless. If you change from wifi to 4g/5g, it disconnects and then takes minutes to reload. It CONSTANTLY stops working making the UE the worst I have ever had the displeasure to use. I have the latest iPhone which is updated regularly along with the app updates so when the response is made to this review of, ‘we are working on updating these issues and we have just released a new version of the economist app please download it and ensure you’re using the latest version of iOS’ is made, it is simply not good enough. It’s been 2 1/2 years of this response. Please, do not waste your money on the audio element of the subscription, instead just get the physical subscription and save yourself the trouble.
P.s. please don’t respond to this that I should download the latest versions etc. as that’s equivalent of saying plug it out then back in. Give me actual fixes and concrete solutions.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciated. We have released 2.8.1 app version yesterday which improves many of the above mentioned issues. Make sure to update your 2.7 app version to 2.8.1. If you present any issues feel free to write to us to email@example.com
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 45.4 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2021
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription £19.99
- Three month subscription £55.99
- One year subscription £179.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.