Give yourself a real challenge with over 15,000 crosswords and sudokus from The Guardian and Observer - and enjoy new ones added every day.
Start playing today with unlimited access for fourteen days. After that, either play a new crossword and sudoku everyday for free, or enjoy full access by subscribing.
App features include:
Play with ease: Timer, reveal, check, and clue functions
Play with friends: Two-player mode and social sharing
Play anywhere: Offline play
Play through history: A user-friendly calendar of the enormous Guardian archive of over 15,000 crosswords and sudokus
Play your favourites: Search by crossword setter
Puzzles included in the app:
Quick - a quick but challenging crossword, published every Monday to Saturday
Cryptic - a cryptic crossword where every clue contains a definition of the answer you're looking for, published every weekday
Quiptic - a cryptic puzzle for beginners, published every Monday
Weekend - our weekend cryptic, published every Saturday
Everyman - a prize crossword, published every Sunday
Speedy - a compact crossword for those in a hurry, published every Sunday
Prize - a prize crossword, published every Saturday
Sudoku - easy, medium, hard, expert and mini
Terms and conditions:
This version contains numerous fixes and improvements, including:
- Keep playing even after your free trial expires. Every day a different crossword and sudoku will be available for free, just check the App.
- Crosswords are now available to play in landscape mode on iPad.
- Inviting a friend to ‘Play Together’ is now more intuitive than ever.
- Notifications will now let you know when new puzzles are available to solve.
- Restoring your subscription should now be more reliable.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best puzzles. Small tweaks needed to app.
Leaving five stars because I like the Guardian, want to support it, and the quick crosswords and sudoku are really great.
But the app itself has a few bugs that really need fixing and other tweaks:
1) If you click about, there’s no way to get back to the main screen on iOS without hard closing the app and reopening.
2) the text input on the crossword is dodgy. If you press a key twice quickly, it registers on the keyboard, but doesn’t come up in the app. This is really annoying! I constantly struggle to type in words and input text
3) quite often if I leave the app for a bit it will lose all my Sudoku annotations. The crossword sometimes also deletes all my progress. Also quite annoying!
In terms of tweak: Is it possible to also just add all the features to the crossword that exist online. E.g clear word. And the yellow and purple color scheme is a bit jarring, the online one is much nicer (and virtually perfect).
Other kinds of puzzles would also be really great.
From a Guardian supporter x
Developer Response ,
Hi - thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and sorry not to have responded sooner. For point 1, I couldn't actually recreate this problem. For point 2, the latest version has a much improved keyboard, so I hope you'll find that helps. For point 3, this problem has been fixed in version 1.2 so if you haven't already I'd encourage you to upgrade. I hope you'll notice some improvement. I'll take your feedback on content and colour schemes to the team. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.
Frustrating and disappointing product
I downloaded and set up a subscription for this app in May 2020. I have two Apple ID’s like a lot of other people according to Apple, with one for my calendars, email etc ( primary ID )and one for itunes, movies etc. I was able to originally choose which ID to use for this apps subscription via the App log in page and used the iTunes one. However about a month into the subscription I updated the app only to find this no longer worked and I was told by the Guardian support page that I if I wanted to use the Subscription I would need to to change the Apple ID in my IOS Settings. This seemed very cumbersome. The support has been totally useless and I feel I have wasted a years subscription. I feel very let down and would not recommend this app for those who have more than one ID.
Best crossword app I’ve found
I used to use Crosswords, which is fine, but it lost its linkage to the free crosswords from the Independent, and I stopped my Telegraph subscription. I only need cryptic crosswords. So it’s great that I found the Guardian, which has endless cryptic crosswords of differing levels, and Sudoku as a bonus. The price is fine for a full year, and I’m happy to support the Guardian.
Two minor bugs - the screen doesn’t rotate to landscape on my iPad Pro 12.9” (2018), and it always forgets one of my settings (skipping letters that are already filled in).
But this is all that any cryptic crossword lover could want, in my opinion.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Guardian News & Media Ltd
- 70.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Guardian News and Media
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly £3.49
- Annual £32.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.