A new way to experience classical music. Esa-Pekka Salonen conducts the world-renowned Philharmonia Orchestra, performing extracts from eight works representing three centuries of symphonic music.
• An orchestra at your command: Experience classical music like never before with fascinating features, including video, synchronized score, simplified score and commentary by Esa-Pekka Salonen.
• Expert explanations: World-class musicians explain their role in the orchestra and demonstrate how their instruments work. Use a keyboard to play samples of the instruments, and view each one in glorious detail with 360° rotations.
• Discover the BeatMap: This groundbreaking visualization of the performances shows different sections of the orchestra pulse in time with the music, helping you understand the complexity of each piece. Hold down your finger to hear different sections of the orchestra in isolation.
• Unparalleled access: Watch beautiful multi-camera video of the acclaimed Philharmonia Orchestra, and switch effortlessly between different angles and sections of the orchestra.
• Discover the story: Read insightful text on the pieces, composers and instruments specially written by Mark Swed, music critic of the LA Times.
• Haydn: Symphony No 6
• Beethoven: Symphony No 5
• Berlioz: Symphony Fantastique
• Debussy: Prélude à l’après midi d’un faune
• Mahler: Symphony No 6
• Stravinsky: The Firebird
• Lutosławski: Concerto for Orchestra
• Salonen: Violin Concerto
If you enjoy The Orchestra, don’t forget to rate it and leave a review – it really helps!
Optimisations for iOS 12
Ratings and Reviews
Beautifully constructed app!
This is a great informative app for anyone interested in learning about the orchestra. Cleary a lot of hard work has gone into its production and this is evident throughout. I really like the introductions to each orchestral instrument and the techniques used in the sound production. Also good are the selection of orchestral pieces that can be studied by professional musicians and beginners alike. Overall a very worthy five stars.
On super app
App is excellent to listen to learn and follow instruments and the musics to see it being played up close
fantastic intro to orchestral music
I was hesitant about buying this due to the price but saw their Beethoven 9 app and thought it looked very promising. Glad I did as this is a wonderful achievement and exactly how an ipad app should be designed. There are several pieces of music played and analysed (be aware that most are excerpts of longer works) and you can move seemlessly between detailed videos of the orchestra playing and being able to follow a score. One of the best features is having a full score or the option to follow only the main instruments- the score is superbly 'curated' for this. There are also commentaries in real time if you wish, spoken or just subtitles. In addition there is an excellent section which explains all the instruments through video, text and image. Altogether it's amazing. As a musician myself I hope they expand this project and as a teacher I am looking forward to using this in school. The works range from Haydn, Beethoven, Berlioz symponies to Debussy prelude, Stravinsky Firebird, Lutoslawski concerto for orchestra and Salonen violin concerto. Any negatives? Only that I'm not sure I need to see the conductor all the time and it would have been good to have at least a complete movement of Beethoven 5. Well done to the developers and of course the Philharmonia Orchestra.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Amphio Limited
- 2 GB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Classical Apps Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Solo Audio £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.