A game about Censorship, Corruption and Newspapers
The Westport Independent is a censorship simulator taking place in a post-war country, governed by the recently elected Loyalist Party. As the editor of one of the last independent newspapers in the country, your job is to remove and edit the content of your paper, affecting the people’s opinion of both the rebels and the Loyalist government. With an increase of rebel activity and an ever watching government breathing down your neck, whose truth will you print?
- Change the content and meaning of your articles by censoring them to your liking. While you can’t lie, you don’t have to tell the whole truth either.
- Employees with fleshed out character, who will not only react to your actions, but also discuss them with other colleagues.
- Receive letters and messages from public figures, rebel leaders, employees and other characters affected by your actions.
- Adaptive stories where your actions affect the opinions of the people, which affects what happens in the city, which in turn affects the stories you receive.
Awards and recognition
- Biggest surprise at The MIX GDC 2015, IGN
- Part of "Three Cool Surprises From PAX 2015", from Kotaku
- Part of "The Very Best Indie Games of GDC 2015", from Gameinformer
- The Best of GDC 2015, 148 apps
This update is signed with Apple’s latest signing certificate. No new features are included.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Thought-provoking to the end, The Westport Independent explores the power of the press by putting you in charge of a fictional newspaper. Amid a tense political climate, a propaganda-pushing government wants you to censor articles as they hit your desk—changing headlines and removing incriminating details. After deciding how to handle each story, you assign it to a transcriber, determine the marketing budget and what makes the front page and then observe the impact of your choices. Before long, you’re weighing your moral duty to report the truth with how it’ll affect sales, employee happiness, even potential lawsuits. We found the whole process absolutely riveting.
Great Concept, Not-So-Great Execution
Brilliant idea for a game, and pretty fun for a while - could have done with a bit more development time though. Disregarding the common spelling and grammar errors (ironic for a game about editing) and the repetitive soundtrack, the editing choices you make don't always seem to lead to the expected outcomes. I just lost the game after a week in which loyalist suspicion hit maximum, even though in that last week of editing I painted an entirely positive picture of the loyalist party. Furthermore, the game now crashes every time I open it, so there's a nice game-breaking bug for you guys to fix.
Great...For a time
I like this game.
It's fairly origional, fun and addictive. The Westport I dependant has a driving story and interesting game play, which turns an already interesting job into a task of diplomatic storytelling. A key point to note when buying this game is its not just blanking out paragraphs, it's also marketing and planning the paper format.
I would say there are 3 main things stopping this game receiving the full 5 stars.
1) length. There are others complaining about this too. The game is great, but it just doesn't last long enough. Be prepared to binge play for 3 hours then close the app and never see it again. Hopefully some new content will appear, as right now it is more of a seed than a full blown story.
2) headlines! Although I love the idea of changing headlines, only two are abilities for each article,this gives very little spread for realism, as you are really just picking, not writing, a paper.
3) Font. Eugh. Anyone have a microscope that works on pixels? I'm on an iPad mini, which may explain this, but a clearer font would help the game flow better.
This is not to say the game isn't great. I'm giving 4 stars after all. But it is true I haven't opened it for a few days, because the idea of replaying a 'campaign' isn't as appealing as some of the other real time apps on the market.
Keep it up.
Long live the rebellion!
- Coffee Stain Publishing AB
- 71.4 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2016 Coffee Stain Studios
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.