Try Dry is the perfect companion to help you drink more healthily, whether you’re taking on Dry January and want to track your units, calories and money saved, or cutting down longer-term.
Why should I download the app?
• Track your units, calories and money saved
• Set goals and earn badges
• Keep track of your current and best ever dry streaks
• Progress charts
• Use the drinking risk quiz to check up on your drinking
• Works for a month off or year-round drink tracking
• Receive regular support emails if you want them
Why take on a dry month?
• People report better sleep, more energy and looking great!
• New year, new you – people report better sleep, more energy and looking great!
• More money in your pocket (the average person spends £50,000 on booze in their lifetime!)
• Get healthier - through giving up alcohol for a month you do your insides a lot of good, including reducing diabetes risk and blood pressure
• Amazing sense of achievement!
Minor updates and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Latest version is much better!
EDIT: The latest version (Nov 2019) is an improvement and the suggestion I made below has been implemented. I’m upgrading my review from four to five stars.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This year’s version (Jan 2019) was better than the previous one. However it is still buggy - I had to disable the notifications as these regularly froze the app, and once they caused my iPhone to crash & turn itself off!
An improvement is the way you can input the alcohol you drink very precisely - type, amount & alcohol %. I wish it would show the total units drunk on that day. It obviously calculates it, as it shows “units saved” but doesn’t show “units drunk”. This feature would help me monitor my drinking better.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, I am so sorry to hear you had trouble with the app and thank you very much for your feedback. We at Alcohol Change UK, the charity behind the app, really want TRY DRY to work beautifully for everybody. Since your review we have worked hard with our developers to fix any bugs reported. We have also introduced new features like badges, charts, goals, currencies. We would like to invite you to give the app another try. Please let us know if there something else that we could do to deserve a better rating from you? You can contact us via email on Dryjanuary@alcoholchange.org.uk
Nice app - shame about the maths
I’ve very much enjoyed using the app and it’s certainly helping me change my boozing habits.
Just one or two issues. After 20 alcohol free days it was showing my cash saving as around £180+ which got me quite excited! That is until I realised this was obviously based on pub prices and I only ever drink at home. Undaunted I went to settings and overrode the weekly figure to a more realistic £30. Unfortunately however this resulted in a total saved as £55 when it should have been approaching £90. A bit more tinkering revealed that the calculations were literally all over the place. Someone needs to look at this, it’s spoiling an otherwise great app.
Update: Won’t load at all today. Stuck on the splash screen.
Developer Response ,
Please could you email Rowan at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can look into the calculations for you.
I am very sorry to hear you having trouble with login.
If you can remember your password can I suggest you try the following:
1. Uninstall and reinstall just to check you have the latest version.
2. Please check you have background data refresh turned on in your phone's settings for the app.
3. Try login
If this doesn't work. Please could you let us know by emailing me
Options, not just abstinence
I love the fact this app supports you to moderate your drinking, not necessarily just totally abstain. You can set your own goals, eg 50 non-consecutive dry days, moderator (recommended maximum number of alcohol units per week or less as your upper target), reducer (halving your current intake levels. It’s super to be able to choose what suits YOU and to see the savings in terms of units, calories and money (which you can set to a currency of your choice). There are graphs and graphics to view your successes in different formats. The only criticism I would have is that the app isn’t very stable and sometimes won’t open or will crash suddenly.
Developer Response ,
Thank you again for the positive feedback
We're very sorry you experienced this problem.
Our development team have released a new version of the app 1.2.8.
Please update your app, if you have not done so already. If an update is not showing in the app store please uninstall and reinstall the app.
If this problem persists, please email us at email@example.com
- Alcohol Research UK
- 22.7 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2018 Alcohol Research UK
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.