Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
- Partial workaround for the iOS voice bug which says “to-the-power-of” regularly.
- Improved pronunciation of some Web extracted documents.
- Fixed issue of speech cursor sometimes misaligned with spoken word.
- Added 2-finger gestures for Rich Text view.
- Other minor enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Groundbreaking app for active reading
Voice Dream Reader reader supports sight reading of text to suit your print preference by allowing you to fully customise how the text is displayed in text view. If you require a large font you can easily increase the font size and it reflows into a single column -greatly improving readability by removing the need to pan to bring the text into view. You also have control over font, text colour, page colour in fact all colours including highlight text. Voice Dream Reader lets you control the reading simply clicking where you want it to start reading, with controls to skip forward and back by reading unit which you can set as sentence, page, etc. In addition to comfortable sight reading and reactive text-to-speech, Voice Dream Reader also lets you take notes directly into the text when reading, thus supporting active reading. The notes appear in text view and original view. You can happily the add notes as you go along, and then when ready, extract all your notes, with the associated highlighted text, and send these to Word or another app of your choice. This therefore is a powerful tool for students and researchers. The Voice Dreamer Reader team are also responsive to email and from my experience I have found them to be fully committed to delivering a groundbreaking inclusive reading tool.
It’s not often I’m this impressed with an app. I have felt very let down lately by a number of developers. First this app works, it does what it says on the tin and it does it extremely well! Second, it’s not a subscription plan and so far I’ve not seen any hidden purchases. Third it is value for money and seems to be priced fairly. I’ve tested it to the extreme. I took a previously scanned 190 page document and imported it. The app asked if o wanted to run OCR, so I did. Within a minute or so I had exported the text to my written app of choice. The spoken text is the best I’ve heard to date (There are a choice of voices so have a play until you find one that suits). There were no mistakes. I’ve tried other text sources with strange fonts etc... same results. There are features I would like to see, such as a better file manager etc... it allows for folders but via a drop down, this is perfectly adequate though. I bought the suit with the writer and the scanner etc... it’s so good I’d claim the use of wizardry!!!!! I’ll be recommending this app to my University, work colleagues and whenever I get the chance. I would be extremely happy to see a Mac OSX version .
Couldn’t work without it.
Voice dream is godsend for any writer, in fact it’s a must have for anyone who puts words on paper. No matter how many times something is edited it’s easy to miss the odd word, especially words like ‘and’ and ‘the’ because our eyes skates over them. Voice Dream catches all of them.
Things like modulation and rhythm are much easier to pick up on as well. The voices used are very natural. I use Heather, and apart from the odd rare word, the pronunciation is perfect. It’s so realistic and easy to listen to, the app is ideal for creating your own audio books. You can even edit within the app, add notes and highlights as you go along. I can’t recommend it highly enough.
- Voice Dream LLC
- 150.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.3 and watchOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © Voice Dream LLC 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Kari (Acapela Norwegian Voice) £4.99
- Olav (Acapela Norwegian Voice) £4.99
- Ryan (Acapela US English Voice) £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.