what3words is an easy way to identify precise locations. Every 3m square has been given a unique combination of three words: a what3words address. Now you can find, share and navigate to precise locations using three simple words.
Use what3words to:
- Help emergency services know exactly where to find you
- Plan exact meet-up locations
- Tell car breakdown services where you are
- Navigate to any destination easily
- Save your favourite memorable spots – a viewpoint, waterfall or proposal location
- Save key work locations, from incident reporting to delivery entrances
- Help people find your business or Airbnb
- Guide people to accessible entrances.
what3words addresses are accepted by over 85% of UK emergency services as well as the AA, and many UK delivery companies. Businesses and hotels display what3words on their contact pages, and booking confirmations – anywhere you would normally find location information.
- Find your current what3words address offline
- Compatible with navigation apps including Apple Maps and Google Maps
- Save your favourite locations and categorise them into lists
- AutoSuggest prompts you with intelligent suggestions
- Available in over 50 languages
- Navigate offline with compass mode
- Add a what3words address to a photo
If you experience any problems or have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can now use the device to read aloud what3words addresses! If the selected language is supported by the device you can find 'Accessibility' in settings to turn this on.
Ratings and Reviews
What3words has a unique three-word combination for every three-metre square on Earth. These combos enable friends or emergency services to locate your exact position when traditional addresses are unavailable or unsuitable. So even if you’re on a solitary bench in a vast park or on a remote roadside in your conked-out car, you can be found.
I’m an emergency services worker, and this is fantastic
I’m an emergency services worker in the UK. I’m on a team covering a very large rural area, and this is incredibly helpful. Not only is it a slick app, but the concept behind it is a real game changer. Our control room use it when people call for help, and we use it to help each other reach locations. The ambulance service in our area also use it. I urge everyone, especially those in rural areas, at least find out what the 3 words are for their home location and write it down and keep it near your phone because postcodes and maps are wrong more often than people would think. But also have the app installed if they break down in the middle of nowhere. Sure there are other ways, like GPS coordinates and OS map refs, but they are not easy to memorise and this simplifies things for people in a stressful crisis. Top tip - there will be a few sets of words near you (each 3M squares), so choose ones that are easy to communicate without ambiguity, for example avoid words that sound the same but have different spellings (lead, led, etc) or can be tricky to spell. Stay safe.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the great review Dom! Fantastic to hear what3words is proving a helpful tool for you and your team 🙌
Brilliant idea, app needs some work
Brilliant idea but the app needs basic features adding. There is no search history which is a nuisance. As an example I’m running a training course at a customer site and I need to travel to and from the hotel I’m staying in every day for a week. Because there’s no search history I need to type in the customer’s name every morning and the hotel name every evening, bit of a pain, especially as I can’t remember the name of the hotel, so I have to search my emails for the booking confirmation... In both Waze and Google maps the last twenty or so addresses appear below the search box.
Ok, so I could favourite each location the first time I visit, favouriting is easy, can be done with one tap, apart from adding the label! But I have remember to do that... ugh.
But then accessing a favourite needs four taps, one to save, four to get to! No quick access to your favourites from the search bar either. Even worse, the search doesn’t look in the favourites! I’ve labelled my home address as Home but searching for Home doesn’t find the favourite. When I have a hundred or so favourites how do I search them?
I love the idea and there are situations where this app has no equal but without these basic features Waze and Google Maps are still more convenient to use.
Please add these features.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- What3Words Limited
- 167.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Oriya, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Zulu
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © (C) 2022 what3words Ltd.