UK Voice included!
Word Wizard is an award-winning app used in schools that offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10.
--Learn to Read by Building Words --
• The Talking Movable Alphabet activity allows kids to experiment with word building and phonics thanks to the advanced text to speech engine (the first step in learning to read)
• Any text can be written and spoken
• 2 child voices + 5 adult voices (US, UK & Australian voices)
• Uppercase & lowercase letters, numbers, digraphs, ABC or QWERTY keyboard
• Many settings to adapt the activities to the child’s needs (letter size, assign images to words, high contrast modes for kids with visual impairment,...)
-- Learn to Spell using the Talking Movable Alphabet and your word lists --
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 200 built-in word lists (about 2000 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes!
• Add your own images to illustrate your word lists
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• Used in Schools (140K units sold to schools)
• "This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction" - The New York Times
• "This is a fantastic app for young children, right through to children in later elementary school " - Wired's GeekDad
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• More than 290K units sold!
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell-check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice, and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or QWERTY layout, letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or fewer letters on the board)
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
• Accessibility: external keyboard support and 4 high contrast modes available
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 200 built-in word lists: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities, and touchscreen so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
Please send any feedback or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Assigning images to words: you can now load more images from Wikimedia Commons
• Accessibility: external keyboard support for special needs kids who can't use the Movable Alphabet
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Takes the stress out of learning spellings!
I bought is app last week to try and encourage my 8 year old with his spellings. I usually have a real battle as he appears to be a little dyslexic and gets very worked up and frustrated at having to write anything or learn his weekly spellings...until now!
I love the fact that you can add your own word lists, so I can enter the words my children need to learn each week for school. My son also wrote his holiday journal without any fuss as he was able to use the moving alphabet to self-check tricky words. This freed me up to continue cooking the tea and gave him much more independence and confidence.
I did have a couple of queries regarding some pronunciation but after sending an email I got an almost immediate response with some suggestions and helpful hints. It's very refreshing to find an app where the creators take time to offer advice and respond to feedback.
I would definitely recommend this app to anyone with children!
Fantastic, for kids, special educational needs.
Word wizard works really well, just drag the letters onto the board and it blends the sounds as you add the letters. Really great for using with young kids or those with certain special educational needs.
I would like to see the ability to drag some letters onto the board then hide the keyboard and just play with a selected set of letters. It would make it easier to focus on some spellings and activities.
So thanks for this application it is beyond what I expected and I hope this idea can be added as new feature in the future.
Had lots of fun with this one
My whole family loves this app. We enjoyed using it to play with words and zip different sounds in and out. The kids also enjoyed being able to create a sentence and then give it a spooky voice (you can change the speed and tone of the voice and its accent). They then left it at various locations round the house to spook people. Lots of laughter and learning going on here. I can see it being useful whenever we want to discuss how a word is spelt for just talking through the sounds.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- pierre abel
- 343.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © L'Escapadou 2011-2019
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.