FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best iPhone Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook's iPhone dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
- Supports iOS 11 and iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
Works exactly as I expected a phone dictionary to. Smooth offline app, saves me having to search the meaning of words on safari as most people probably do and as I used to do. Best dictionary app available hands down.
Pretty good dictionary, not great thesaurus.
Summary: good dictionary, good interface, but get a separate thesaurus.
I have used this nice simple dictionary for a few years now. It is pretty good, has most things, the interface is terrific.
It isn't comprehensive, but that's fine--it is nearly so. It has as many entries as my Oxford Concise, but is wonderfully on my phone.
I was driven to review it because the thesaurus has been changed to an incredibly unhelpful and not particularly literate style. Synonyms and related words are now listed alphabetically instead of by their logical groups. Even listing them randomly would be better for writing creatively and correctly.
I will continue with the app because I do like it. But I will have to go back to my analogue thesaurus!
This a very useful app that I use regularly when checking spelling in mails and when playing word games.
One of my most used apps.
- TranCreative Software
- 25.6 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- © 2015 TranCreative LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.