Write without distractions. WriteRoom is a full screen writing environment. Unlike the cluttered word processors you're used to, WriteRoom lets you focus on writing.
• Fast handling of large documents.
• Live word count, reading time, and more.
• Shift line up, down, left, and right commands.
• Select word, sentence, and paragraph commands.
• Automatically log your writing sessions to a spreadsheet.
• Use themes to save, switch, and share your favorite settings.
• Choose your own background images, paper textures, and typing sounds.
“But if, when it comes right down to it, full screen is your r grail, and the ultimate antidote to the bric-a-brac of Word, then you must enter the WriteRoom, the ultimate spartan writing utopia.”
— Virginia Heffernan, NYT
“Unlike practically everything else in our digital lives, WriteRoom's minimalist interface implies a truly flattering proposition: It's you, not the software, that matters.”
— Jeffrey MacIntyre, Slate
“WriteRoom’s minimalist interface also frees you from the nagging urge to fiddle with margins, fonts, and other settings, leaving you with nothing to do but write.”
— Nathan Alderman, MacWorld
“A perfectly balanced, indispensable part of any Mac writer’s toolkit.”
— Craig Grannell, Mac Format
* Fix: Sandboxing issue with QuickCursor
* Fix: Sandboxing issue when changing between plain text and rich text
* Fix: Crash when using Shift Left in some circumstances
Ratings and Reviews
Simple, and simply good …
For writers who really want to focus on the words alone, Writeroom is great. For complicated, multi-chapter stuff I turn to the wonderful Scrivener, but for first drafts or shorter pieces Writeroom is the choice. A shame that the iOS version is no longer being developed, because I do use the iPhone to edit or review pieces written on Writeroom on the Mac (linked via Dropbox) … but the Mac version is worth it as a standalone text tool.
It’s the word processor that I’m drawn to
There’s something about WriteRoom, & I’ve been using it for years without ever rating it, & today for some reason I felt compelled to say: I really like this software. Each morning I tap away at it doing my Morning Pages: a retro screen, flashing cursor. It doesn’t disturb or correct me, it just lets me get on with it.
Part of my daily life
I’ve been using WriteRoom for what must be close to 10 years now.
Everything I start, the first step is to open up a new WriteRoom window. It’s such a gentle, relaxing piece of software. The ideal environment to write.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.