Artificial intelligence and music go well together.
The iPad and iPhone app YouCompose is proof of that.
Meet Aimée, your personal, artificially intelligent assistant composer, she’s ready to help you compose great music.
She will assist you, whether you're a beginner or a professional composer, adding her vast knowledge about music theory to your creativity.
You give her your melodies and decide how she should handle them. Aimée then finishes your composition, doing all the hard work that normally takes hours, but now is done in seconds.
She will also be happy to show you her own compositions. You can always ask her to compose a sonata, fugue or scherzo and incorporate the results into your own compositions. Aimée doesn't mind, she is there for you!
Apart from being a serious tool, YouCompose is fun to play with. YouCompose is of great educational value as well. Many teachers from around the world use YouCompose in their harmony, composition and orchestration classes.
- 80 instruments are included. You'll find all regular orchestral instruments, keyboards, organs, guitars, basses, chorus, percussion and more.
- With over 40 preset ensembles you can quickly setup YouCompose for ensembles like a saxophone quartet, string quartet or orchestra, woodwinds or brass sections and much more.
Creating and editing:
- You create melodies using the built-in virtual keyboard or a MIDI keyboard, by entering single notes in a grid editor, by importing a melody from a MIDI file or by asking Aimée to make one for you. Aimée will then harmonize these melodies in a classical or jazz style taking into account the instruments you selected.
- A composition can be edited in many ways. YouCompose allows you to copy, paste, move and delete movements, segments and individual notes.
- You can ask Aimée to compose a complete 3 or 4 movement classical or jazz symphony for your ensemble all by herself, or let her add a new movement to an existing one. She can do that based on her own melodies or on melodies you provide.
- You can control the way she harmonizes your melodies, by setting Harmonization Points and other options, or you can also leave that completely to her.
- If you wish you can even combine classical and jazz styles within one piece.
- Special tools allow you to enter lyrics, apply melodic transformations or create dynamic effects.
Sharing and saving:
- YouCompose is Audiobus, AudioCopy and Inter-App Audio compatible and supports background audio. This means that you can record its audio using Audiobus, GarageBand or any other Audiobus compatible or IAA host App. In Audiobus you will find remote triggers for reverb and output level adjustment. With AudioCopy you can copy audio from movements, parts, segments or fragments to any other AudioCopy compatible app.
- YouCompose is CoreMIDI compatible. This means that you can also utilize a MIDI keyboard, a MIDI sound module or synth apps running on your device together with YouCompose.
- You can export audio files directly to other apps on your device. Supported audio file formats are: MIDI, aac, m4a, aiff, caf and wav. A m4a file contains data like ‘artist’, ‘song name’ and ‘lyrics’. You can export audio from movements, parts, segments or fragments.
- You can view your composition’s full score and the individual parts (transposed when applicable), print them directly from YouCompose to an AirPrint compatible printer or export them to any PDF viewer like iBooks.
- YouCompose allows you to send and receive compositions from other devices running YouCompose via Dropbox, email or an AirDrop connection.
- You can share your composition with others by sending an email containing a YouCompose file, m4a audio files, MIDI files and/or a PDF document with the full score and the individual (transposed) parts.
- Several sample compositions containing well known melodies are also included in the package.
Adjustments for iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Ratings and Reviews
Worth a look.
Recently bought this app and yes, it sort of does what it says but could easily be made more useful. A lot of work seems to have gone into it and the manual is extremely thorough. Not quite sure about some of the harmonisation though (it's not very harmonic).
The main problems I am struggling with is how to import midi files. Also, I haven't found a way yet either to mute, solo or alter volume to each part. These are examples of what I am referring to regarding its usefulness.
The big issue is the developer cannot be contacted (can't find an email address), there is no video on its use and no website (just a Facebook page) so questions, suggestions and queries can't be addressed and neither can its facilities be appreciated or an informed decision made.
Hoping for more.
It takes getting used. There is a learning curve. I understand a little about music and can read it. This app is definitely worth the money. I recommend it if you know nothing about music but want to create it. Or if you are a musician looking for ideas and inspiration. I have also found it useful for giving me ideas for the Bridge. It is a great spring board.
This brilliant app has only got better and more accessible
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Wout Bremer
- 330.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014 W. Bremer
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.