What's that bird? Merlin Bird ID helps you solve the mystery in 5 questions, or with a photo of a bird.
First, Merlin asks you a few simple questions. Then, almost like magic, it reveals the list of birds that best match your description. Pick your bird, then delve into more photos, sounds, and ID tips about your bird!
If you have a photo, Merlin can help there as well. Take a photo, choose from your camera roll, or snap the viewfinder of your zoom camera, and Merlin's powerful AI will suggest an identification almost instantly.
Merlin is fun and easy to use—whether you’re curious about a bird you’ve seen once or you’re hoping to identify every bird that comes to your feeder. The answers are waiting for you with this free field guide app from the renowned Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• Created for birders and bird watchers of every level, Merlin identifies 4,500+ bird species across the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, India and Australia.
• Merlin can identify a bird in a photo using powerful deep learning algorithms. Select your photo, tell Merlin where and when you took it, and you'll see a short list of suggested identifications.
• Bird packs available for United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, India, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Brazil, Chile, India, Australia with more coming soon.
• Explore birds by location and date with a list of species seen in the area.
• Intelligent results. No more scanning through hundreds of possibilities! Merlin shows the birds near you that fit your description.
• Customized location and date tools generate best answers for your neighborhood and time of year.
• Powered by eBird to deliver the most accurate results based on millions of sightings from bird watchers across the world.
• Enjoy more than 30,000 photos of birds, including males, females, and juveniles.
• Learn ID tips from Cornell Lab of Ornithology experts.
• Listen to beautiful bird sounds, including 14,000 songs and calls for each species curated by the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• It’s all free! The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s goal is to help you and millions of others to learn about birds.
Merlin is the most advanced bird guide app available, and is expanding to new regions of the world.
••• Bird Packs •••
The Britain and Ireland pack is available through a partnership with the British Trust for Ornithology. Bird identification help is also available across Europe with the Western Europe pack, Iberian Peninsula, a pack covering the Scandinavian countries and a comprehensive Western Palearctic guide.
Merlin Bird ID also includes bird identification help for the United States with regional packs for the: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Rocky Mountains, Southwest, Texas and Oklahoma, Alaska, and West Coast.
Canada is covered by Eastern Canada and Western Canada packs.
Mexico bird identification is available for each region of the country.
Central America packs include Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama.
South America packs include the Medellín, Bogota and Cali regions of Colombia, southeastern Brazil, and Chile.
The Australia packs cover the southeast and north parts of the country.
Asia bird ID help is available for India.
These packs make Merlin the perfect pocket Field Guide to North American Birds, Hawaii Bird Guide, Mexico Bird Guide, Guatemala Bird Guide, Belize Bird Guide, Honduras Bird Guide, El Salvador Bird Guide, Nicaragua Bird Guide, Costa Rica Bird Guide, and Panama Bird Guide, Bird Guide to Colombia, Bird Guide to Brazil, Chile Bird Guide, India Bird Guide, Australia Bird Guide, Bird Guide to Europe, Bird Guide to Spain, Bird Guide to Portugal, Bird Guide to Britain, and Bird Guide to Scandinavia.
Save My Bird
Now when you use the Bird ID or Photo ID features to identify a bird, you can tell Merlin that "This is my bird!" and save that sighting to your free Cornell Lab account. As you record when and where you see birds, you'll be able to watch your life list grow!
Think of a life list as a scrapbook of memories. It’s a record of the sweet sights and sounds you took in over all the days you went birdwatching. That’s why we’re excited to give you the tools to start your life list in Merlin. Use Save My Bird to create a list of all the birds you’ve confidently identified in person. You can even save the same species multiple times, if you want to keep track of all the places you’ve crossed paths with it.
New common name options
French, French Guiana
Fixes to streamline logging in again if you've changed your password
Updates to translations
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Cornell University
- 60.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Hebrew, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Cornell University
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.