The most popular app since 2008!
See what these users are saying about Shakespeare Pro:
“It’s really great!”
—Kenneth Branagh, actor and director
“‘The app’s the thing.’ Hamlet was almost right. Great to see Shakespeare Pro superplaying with Shakespeare’s plays.”
—David Crystal, linguist and author of Shakespeare's Words
“The Shakespeare Pro app is simply terrific and filled with loads of wonderful information!”
—Ken Ludwig, Tony and Olivier Award Winning Playwright
Shakespeare Pro® includes the complete works of Shakespeare (41 plays, 154 sonnets and 6 poems, including apocrypha) and search the concordance to find the exact word or phrase you’re looking for (with “relaxed” searching to find words close to your search term).
Shakespeare Pro is packed with these impressive features:
••• QUALITY TEXTS are a top priority and our team spent years compiling and editing the best references available. In the updated editions, the text is even more clear and each individual character is uniquely identified.
••• FIRST FOLIOS AND QUARTOS in original spelling show the works as they were originally published in Shakespeare’s time.
••• AN INTEGRATED GLOSSARY, based on the bestselling lexicon by David & Ben Crystal, Shakespeare’s Words™ is included. Simply tapping on a word will display its definition in context (not just a general definition).
••• ADD YOUR OWN NOTES AND SHARE THEM with your students, classmates, friends, and colleagues. Organize your notes into notebooks for use in the classroom, theatre, or just to remember key facts. Then share them via email or AirDrop.
••• POWER SEARCH THE WORKS by customizing multiple parameters like gender, genre, work, language, line form, soliloquies, and more.
••• CUSTOMIZE YOUR READING EXPERIENCE by choosing from a variety of color themes, change the font family and size, display long or short character names, jump around to different scenes, and view line numbers (*read the note below about line numbering).
••• BOOKMARK YOUR FAVORITE PARTS in addition to remembering the last page you viewed. Even copy/paste that great line.
••• DETAILED SCENE BREAKDOWNS give you an overview of the scenes within each play, their locations, and the characters present in each.
••• CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS help you better understand the actions and motivations of every character—all 1,155 of them.
••• MODERN TRANSLATIONS and lexicons to help you better understand Elizabethan English (extra add-ons).
••• GET THE FACTS by reading up on Shakespeare’s life, view data and chronology about his works, and an overview of scansion terminology or rhetoric. Character Arc Visualizers show individual character arcs or allow for comparison of multiple characters.
••• SHAKE YOUR DEVICE for Shakespeare himself to display a random memorable quote or insult. Or get a new random quote every day.
••• BROWSE THE GALLERY of famous Shakespeare portraits.
••• TALES FROM SHAKESPEARE, a series of 20 short versions of Shakespeare’s plays aimed at a younger audience, are included for free.
••• BARDFIND™ is the easiest way to find a Shakespeare theatre or venue anywhere in the world.
These are just a few highlights of the great things in Shakespeare Pro. If you’re a student, professor, actor, or just plain love the Bard, this must-have app ensures you have the complete works at your fingertips.
Like the new features? Having trouble and need support? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or at http://support.playshakespeare.com.
Another update to the best Shakespeare app for almost 15 years!
• Fix for more complex search terms
• Fix for adding notes, and notebook view
This is the last version to support iOS 13 so please update your device to ensure you get the latest features and improvements!
Did you miss a recent update? Here are a few of the new things we added:
• NEW! General notes: now you can write general notes on a play in the Notes section (instead of just attached notes to parts of the play text)
• NEW! A 17-week semester course with a teacher curriculum designed to be used for any single play (add-on).
• NEW! Improvements to the new modern spelling search of Folios and Quartos: just enter the modern spelling of a word and find all alternate spellings where it's located. For example, search for "color" and find "colour", "cullor", and "collour".
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing app..good job!
Just a great app!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 354.9 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2009-2023 PlayShakespeare.com. All rights reserved.
- 11,99 €
- In-App Purchases
- Course: Intro to Shakespeare 11,99 €
- All Lexicons 5,99 €
- Glossary by C. T. Onions 2,49 €
- Glossary by Alexander Dyce 2,49 €
- Modern Translation (Phoenix) 1,19 €
- Modern Translation To Queen 1,19 €
- Modern Translation (All) 17,99 €
- Modern Translation (2GV) 1,19 €
- Modern Translation (WT) 1,19 €
- Modern Translation (TNK) 1,19 €