The ESV Bible app was designed to be the most beautiful and intuitive Bible app available. The app includes free resources such as interactive reading plans, audio streaming, and free access to the full ESV Global Study Bible.
• Read. Dig into the English Standard Version via an elegant interface designed specifically for mobile devices. Quick access to cross-references, split-screen reading, and a distraction-free reader’s mode make it easy to engage with God’s Word on a deeper level.
• Free Reading Plans. Make Scripture reading a habit with 60+ Bible reading plans featuring content from well-known Bible teachers such as Jen Wilkin, Paul Tripp, Charles Spurgeon, Nancy Guthrie, Kevin DeYoung, Gloria Furman, and more. New reading plans are added every month.
• Study. Read the ESV Global Study Bible alongside the biblical text for free. Subscribe to one of our paid plans at ESV.org to unlock additional study resources, like the ESV Study Bible, ESV Archaeology Study Bible, Preaching the Word commentary series, and more.
• Audio. Stream a free audio reading of any passage (internet connection required).
• Search. Search the Bible by reference, keyword, or phrase with lightning speed.
• Write. Capture your ideas and reflections while listening to a sermon or during Bible study in personal notes attached to specific passages.
• Highlight. Highlight and bookmark favorite verses with just two taps.
• Sync. Sync your highlighted verses, personal notes, and bookmarks with ESV.org—giving you access to all of your personal content from any device.
• Share. Share verses with friends and family via text message, email, Facebook, and Twitter.
ESV 4.0 is compatible with devices running iOS 9.0 and later.
• Added a guided tour that shows on first launch.
• Added a new theme that matches the iOS Dark Mode setting.
• Reading plan progress now syncs with your ESV.org account.
• Fixed the Gospel Transformation Study Bible sometimes disappearing from the library.
• Fixed missing illustrations in The Story of Redemption Bible.
• Fixed text display issues in Preaching the Word.
• Fixed Knowing the Bible answers not being saved.
• Fixed reading plan reminders not updating or stopping correctly.
• Fixed numerous crashes, including in reading plans, notes, and on device rotation.
• Numerous style and layout improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
beautiful design, simple but effective functions.
Beautiful design and typography - FINALLY someone has paid attention to creating a tasteful, elegant and unified aesthetic in a Bible app!!! The book titles, body text, verse numbers, and sub-headers all employ well-designed typography. The contents page is simply gorgeous for a Bible app. The ESV itself is a well-respected and accurate translation of the Bible, so it obviously stands well on its own. Search functions are limited - you can't specify Old or New Testaments. No split-screen function for cross-referencing either, which is found in at least one other Bible app. In the future it would be great to see this app link up with some basic reading plans (such as the one in the Book of Common Prayer on the ESV website), or with the online accounts of those who have an ESV Study Bible. Yet if this app does eventually incorporate such functions, hopefully they will be grafted in elegantly and "done right," without adding clutter or compromising the beauty of the design as it is. Currently this app feels like a solid, functional, well-designed core upon which to build for the future. Heartily recommended.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 97.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Crossway
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.