Editorial is a plain text editor for iOS with powerful automation tools and a beautiful inline preview for Markdown, TaskPaper, and Fountain documents.
* Inline Markdown/Fountain Preview – With Editorial's subtle syntax highlighting, you can see your document's formatting immediately while you're writing. And when you need a full HTML preview, it's just a swipe away.
* Extensible with Workflows and Scripts – Select from over 50 text processing actions to create your own workflows for extending Editorial's feature set. For even more advanced automation, you can write Python scripts with an integrated code and UI editor.
* Dropbox Sync – The sync folder is customizable, so you can easily edit your documents with multiple apps.
* Smart Keyboard – The extended keyboard was specifically designed for writing Markdown and includes all the special characters you need. You can also control the cursor with simple swipe gestures.
* Snippets – Quickly insert frequently-used pieces of text by typing abbreviations. Snippets can include dynamic text, e.g. the current date or clipboard contents. TextExpander™ snippets are also supported.
* In-App Browser – If you need to do some quick research while writing, you don't have to leave the app for that. You can even open multiple tabs.
* "Folding" allows you to quickly hide individual sections of your document while you're writing.
*** *** ***
“It would be hard to imagine a better editor, let alone recommend one that actually exists.” — The Verge
“This is it. Editorial sets a new standard for third-party iOS automation, and, for me, there’s no going back.” — Federico Viticci, MacStories
“Editorial just reinvented iOS text editing.” — Merlin Mann
Bugfixes for Dropbox sync and workflows with custom UI.
Ratings and Reviews
No iCloud synch
This app would be great if had support for files and iCloud. With out this I have to come back to iAWriter. Please add iCloud...
Editorial the iPad an efficient productivity tool
I bought an iPad Air 2 as a laptop alternative and it was working well for many applications but I felt it was still a fair bit behind regarding text based documents for what I do. I've been working with markdown for a while but never fully realised the possibilities for creating web content, documents for printing, and presentations etc. all from .md files. That was until I discovered Editorial. I use it to create all my text-- and it really is so fast and efficient (and more focused than desktop tools). I had been too invested in "distraction free writing" apps and missed this workhorse. Workflows enable the average punter to customise things to suit their needs. TaskPaper files are a fantastic bonus, and well implemented too. Sync with nvALT if on a Mac (and buy Marked 2), to carry on from desktop if required. Oh yeah, there's a built in previewer, browser and way more by way of Python for the advanced user. Latest update brings some really great features like text folding and movable text. If you write anything, buy this app.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.