Have you (or maybe one of your friends) ever wanted to learn to transcribe or play music by ear?
It is so important for a musician to know what you are hearing. A good musical ear helps when you are composing, improvising, transcribing melodies, or playing with others.
Most likely you have already tried different programs to learn to recognize intervals or even to acquire perfect pitch. However, although such programs develop your ear, but can you actually play any melody you hear as soon as you listen to it?
Imagine you could understand music... It is like when somebody is talking to you, you not only hear pleasant sounds, but you recognize words and their meaning.
One day I came across Alain Benbassat's program called "Functional Ear Trainer" and have been using it ever since. It is based on Alain's method to learn to recognize tones.
The main difference between the Functional Ear Trainer and other methods is that it teaches you to distinguish between tones in the context of a particular musical key. You begin to recognize the role (or function) of each tone in this key, which is incredibly similar to its role in other keys of the same scale.
And it is *guaranteed* anyone can gradually develop this skill. It does not matter:
- who you are - an absolute beginner in music or a virtuoso professional musician;
- how old you are - a 3 yo kid or a 90+ adult;
- what musical instrument you play (you don't even have to play one).
The only requirement is to practice for 10 minutes a day.
I was so excited about this ear trainer that I have developed a mobile app based on the Alain Benbassat method. I hope you will find it useful.
*** If you like Functional Ear Trainer, please take the time to give us a nice review: it really helps
1) Intro Game for new users. You can remove it in the Main Settings.
2) Some simplifications in the design. Sorry for any inconvenience, these changes are important.
3) Daily Reminders (inside the Main Settings).
4) Sharing screenshots of your results on social networks.
5) Several new Basic Training → Play! mode Settings.
6) The advanced mode now plays 2 notes together by default.
Ratings and Reviews
Love the way of the method but please add option to use C, D instead of Do, Re
After searching a lot for a good ear training app I can tell this one is good, but please add option to use other names for the notes instead of Do Re Mi
Easy to use and learn. You can feel the results after three-four weeks.
Really helpful, helped me developed my ears a great deal
I use it every day for a month now and my ears are at a totally different place.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sergiy Korchan
- 40.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Bulgarian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Serhii Korchan