Improve Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary
This app is designed for students of our Premium Members. Visit our website to sign up today.
More About VocabularySpellingCity
VocabularySpellingCity is a research-proven tool that helps teachers and parents meet the challenge of providing meaningful, intentional, and extended vocabulary practice for students while improving fluency and retention.
Parents, schools and districts across the country and the world continue to use VocabularySpellingCity to improve vocabulary retention and reading comprehension.
With 35+ interactive word games and thousands of pre-made word lists, our app helps build literacy skills in a fun and engaging way!
With each game, students can see, hear, speak, write, break down, and play with words including high frequency words, developmental spelling words, and vocabulary. This helps students strengthen their literacy skills in an effective and long-lasting way.
*Access to the full features of this app is limited to VocabularySpellingCity Premium Members. To go Premium, visit our website: www.spellingcity.com
Keeping up, catching up, or getting ahead in vocabulary retention and comprehension can be fun and easy! Rather than memorizing flashcards or reading textbooks, our specially designed games offer a wide variety of interactive ways to improve literacy skills.
STUDENTS catch up, keep up, and stay ahead on your literacy skills at school, at home, or on-the-go.
PARENTS help kids develop effective reading skills, which are key for success in school (and in life)!
TEACHERS help students continue their learning and review material in or out of the classroom.
The 35+ interactive games and activities let students learn and retain words more effectively through:
• The games provide diverse and repeated opportunities to encounter new words, greatly aiding in retention.
• With voice recordings, interactive sound boxes, animations, syllable activities and contextual sentences, these games create a rich learning experience for students.
• Students can create and save review lists and pair them with different games for continued repeated practice for greater retention.
• Our ready-made word lists support literature, academic vocabulary, content area vocabulary, and informational texts from the CCSS. Studying with these targeted lists can improve student performance across all aspects of their academic career.
• Our self-testing activities give students this opportunity, while also helping them identify gaps in their knowledge, so that they can prepare for school evaluations and be sure to master the material.
• 9 free spelling, vocabulary, reading and phonics games
• Pre-made and customized word lists
• 35+ games with a Premium Membership
• Automatic tracking and progress reports with a Premium Membership
When you go Premium, you gain access to all 35+ vocabulary, spelling, phonics and writing activities, as well as student records and assignments. Visit our website, at www.spellingcity.com, to learn more.
Since our founding in 2008, we have received numerous awards for our website and app, including the 2017 and 2016 SIIA CODiE award in the “Best Game-Based Curriculum Solution” category. We have also ranked among Homeschool.com’s Top 100 Educational Websites every year since 2009.
• New games (Rhyme & Climb, Word Counter, Sound Counter, Which Letter Team?, Sort It Out: Vowels, Vocabulary Memory Match)
• Ability to save progress on letter-by-letter games
• Support for settings applied by the teacher via the website:
• Restricting access to games outside of assignments
• Choosing Australian or British accent
• Limiting the activity categories students can access
• Various bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Major bug in app
There is a major bug in the application, whenever there is a test and there is a spelling which is entered, even though when the spelling is correct the application mentions it is wrong because it sometimes does not start with a capital letter. When the words Are taught in small letters and when answer is in small letter it mentions it is wrong giving the correct spelling starting with a capital letter. This is a severe bug needs to be corrected and also the record in this app of user needs to be corrected.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.