This is your pocket guide to the history and people of Renaissance Florence. Hear the lesser known stories about the major historic attractions of the city, as well as finding adventures off the beaten path.
- Audio-guided tours from historic characters
Take a stroll alongside your guides from the past - wool workers, policemen, bankers and matriarchs are waiting to take you by the hand through this historic city.
- Discover more of Florence
You can use this app as you move through the streets of Florence and trigger stories with GPS - or - sit back and let your fingers do the walking by tapping on story points.
- Insights from history experts
Based on authentic historical documents, this app will take you places that other guides don’t reach. Stories have been created by researchers and leading experts on Florentine history, Including extra insights at every point.
- Audio-guide tours to hidden parts of the city;
- Switch between interactive historical maps and modern day;
- Visit points in any order or follow recommended routes;
- Get deeper information from the scholars behind the app at every point;
- Two stories available in Italian
Hidden Florence is the result of a collaborative research project led by Fabrizio Nevola (University of Exeter), with Donal Cooper (University of Cambridge) and Nicholas Terpstra (University of Toronto), and project team members Daniel Jamison and David Rosenthal. The project has been funded by Arts and Humanities Research Council, UK (award: AH/R008086/1), the University of Exeter and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), Canada (grant: 435-2015-097). This app contains content produced for Hidden Florence, a project originally created in 2013-4 by Fabrizio Nevola with David Rosenthal and funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, UK (award: AH/K005138/1), the University of Exeter and the HEFCE Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF) for Open Innovation.
• Content updates
• Bug fixes and improvements