Nihongo is an offline Japanese dictionary, flashcard app, and reading assistant, designed to make the best use of the time you dedicate to studying Japanese.
Our dictionary is made to find what you're looking for fast, with the words Japanese speakers actually use at the top of every search result, and every word marked as "common", "uncommon", or "rare".
"Clippings", our reading assistant, is what makes Nihongo stand apart from other dictionaries. Paste in Japanese text from a website, email, an eBook, or anywhere else, and we'll add furigana or romaji to every word. We also enable you to tap on any word to see its definition. This will truly change the way you read Japanese. And now, you can get the same experience right in Safari using our Safari extension.
Personal experience (as well as a good deal of research in second-language acquisition) has shown us that the words that you're most likely to remember are the words that you're encountering naturally. To this end Nihongo automatically draws from your search history and clippings to compile flashcard decks filled with words for which you already have context. This makes it easy to study both the words you looked up during Japanese class, and those that appear in your favorite song or videogame. And by adding notes to the back of flashcards you can further connect each vocabulary word to your personal contextual understanding.
Kanji flashcards prompt you to draw the missing kanji from the words you're studying, creating stronger connections between the characters and their real-world use. Built-in kanji decks give you 2 or 3 key words to study for each kanji.
This app is only possible because of the JMDict (edrdg.org) and Tatoeba (tatoeba.org) projects. I highly encourage you to support these incredible projects that make apps like Nihongo possible!
* Over 180,000 words, 165,000 example sentences, and 6000 kanji entries.
* Every word clearly marked as common, uncommon, or rare.
* Add your own notes to any dictionary entry.
* Quickly identify transitive/intransitive word pairs.
* Audio pronunciations of words and example sentences (Requires Nihongo Pro)
PHOTO LOOKUP (OCR) [Pro]
* Look up words just by taking a picture.
* Uses Google Cloud Vision to provide high-quality text recognition.
* Just tap on a word to look it up.
CLIPPINGS (READING ASSISTANT) [Pro]
* Adds furigana or romaji to text pasted into the app.
* Tap on any word to see its definition without leaving the clipping.
* Flashcard deck automatically created so you can study the new words in a clipping.
* Display text horizontally or vertically.
* Have Nihongo read any clipping out loud.
* Flashcards automatically generated from words you lookup in the dictionary or paste into the app.
* Nihongo learns what words you know, and won't bother you again with words you've mastered.
* Built-in kanji flashcard decks up through Middle School.
* Intuitive spaced repetition flashcard system for vocabulary and kanji drawing.
* Level up flashcards by studying every day.
* No penalty for missing a day of study, come back anytime.
* Search using English, Japanese, or romaji.
* Supports searching for conjugated words in both English and Japanese.
* Search for kanji using radicals and stroke counts.
SAFARI EXTENSION [Pro]
* Add furigana or romaji to webpages.
* Tap on words to see definition within Safari.
Read our full Terms of Service at https://nihongo-app.com/terms_of_use.html.
* Fix a crash when launching the Safari extension.
Most Amazing Dictionary I've Seen Yet
I've been studying Japanese for quite a long time, and the quality of life improvements this app brings to my study is absolutely amazing. The clippings feature and the ability to furigana to websites in order to practice reading words I haven't encountered before is really something I never though I would get for a long time from a dictionary app.
Two features that I would love to see, if at all possible: Whenever you insert a sentence into the search bar, it would be amazing if it automatically broke the sentence down and searched each word in the sentence without having to put it into a clipping.
Also if we could get an actual Japanese version of the app (with Japanese interface and definitions) to help us eventually ween out of having to have those English crutches for our study, this app would be nearly perfect.
A friend of mine found this app and showed it to me and I haven't gone back since. Keep doing what you're doing! This app is amazing!
Miles ahead of any other app
Especially the premium version (never tried the free version) is just unparalleled. Combines Anki, stroke order, pitch accent, and anything else you might need in an absolutely smooth way. It’s clear that this app was written by someone who is also a user.
Love it but have two requests
Use this app for almost three years now but I feel that the bookmark function could def be improved. Bookmarks don't work like regular bookmars but instead get organized into flashcards. I'd like to just view them as regular bookmarks & organized by most recent to oldest...also since updating the app I get a popup every single time asking if I want romaji & it just does not go away...other that these two things it's an amazing app, love it! thank you!
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure why you're getting that romaji prompt every time, I'll try to figure that out and fix it in an update. Would you mind reaching out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can ask a few questions that might help me figure out what's going on?
As for the bookmarks, do you have an app you think does this really well? I'd love to make it work better for your workflow. If you'd like to explain a little more what you're looking for, please email me at email@example.com. Thanks!
デベロッパである"Serpenti Sei LLC"は、Appのプライバシー慣行に、以下のデータの取り扱いが含まれる可能性があることを示しました。詳しくは、デベロッパプライバシーポリシーを参照してください。
- Serpenti Sei LLC
- iOS 14.0以降が必要です。
- iPadOS 14.0以降が必要です。
- iPod touch
- iOS 14.0以降が必要です。
- macOS 11.0以降とApple M1チップを搭載したMacが必要です。
スペイン語、 ドイツ語、 フランス語、 ロシア語、 簡体字中国語、 繁体字中国語、 英語
- © 2021 Serpenti Sei LLC
- Nihongo Pro (Monthly) ¥350
- Nihongo Pro (3 Months) ¥900
- Nihongo Pro (Lifetime) ¥6,100