Oxford Dictionary of English with more than 150 years of research behind it, is globally accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of the English language. Regarded as one of the flagship products in the Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, it features advanced search and learning tools, as well as a smartly designed user interface, making it the best iOS app for learning English, building up vocabulary and use in education.
RICH CONTENT FROM THE AUTHORITY ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
• The latest 2020 word database from Oxford University Press
• 350,000 words, phrases and meanings
• More than 75,000 audio pronunciations*
• Special Topics reference content – easily look up topic-specific content
• Word-of-the-day – learn a new word, every day
USER FRIENDLY APP FEATURES AND INTERFACE
• Colourful Themes – transform your learning experience with a comfortable visual layout
• Favorites list - create custom folders with lists of words
• Recent list – review already looked-up words
• Word sharing - easily share a new word or definition you have just learned
• Home page – an intuitive start your journey into the English language
ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS
• Search autocomplete - displays predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup - search within compound words and phrases
• Camera search - look up words in the camera viewfinder
• Voice search - find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled
• Wild card search – use '*' or '?' to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
GET THE MOST WITH PREMIUM
Our premium app features unlock the full potential of the world’s best dictionary by providing you with the following:
• Audio pronunciation – learn words faster, when you hear their pronunciations. Available for more than 75,000 entries
• Offline mode - access the wealth of the word database anywhere, anytime - no data or internet connection is required
• Unrestricted use – no limits on how many words you lookup
• Regular content updates – receive updates to the word database, as soon as it is available from the Oxford University Press
• Priority support – receive an answer within 24 hours for any app-related support issue
• No advertising – enjoy an ad-free learning experience with no interruptions and distractions
PRICING & SUBSCRIPTIONS
Oxford Dictionary of English offers the following auto-renewable subscriptions:
• Annual subscription for $19.99 per year
• Monthly subscription for $2.99 per month with a special first month price of $0.99
• The price of each subscription corresponds to the same price segment, which is set in the "Apple's App Store Matrix" for other currencies
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period
• You can cancel a subscription anytime by turning off auto-renewal through your iTunes account settings. This must be done 24 hours before the end of a subscription period to avoid being charged. The cancellation will take effect the day after the last day of the current subscription period, and you will be downgraded to the free service
* This is a premium feature
We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. Get the latest version for all of the available features. This version includes several bug fixes and performance improvements.
Recommendations to improve
The dictionary is good, but there are two problems I wish app developers would address.
１. Favourites button
I wish there would be an easier way to add the word to favorites, for example, direct star button next to the word.
2. Quicker way to search next word
It is annoying that there is no quick way to search for a next word. There is a search sign and also an X sign to type in new words but both of them just lead to the word that I have typed earlier. So I have to click second time to remove it and then type a new word. You could leave a search sign for an option to edit previously typed word, and the X sign to directly remove and allow to immediately type in the new word.
Good dictionary app
The dictionary itself is quite good, and the application features work well. However, constantly bugging me to rate it 5 stars has become unbearably annoying. Fortunately, after submitting a rating, the annoying pop-up message stopped appearing for a while. Unfortunately, it has reappeared.
Still a terrible app. Now crashes on launch.
Most of this app is a distraction that keeps the user from their purpose: using the dictionary. There should be a way to switch between the default, bubbly social interface and a more lean, mature, and professional reference mode. The software company Monokakido makes such an interface for various dictionaries on iOS. A source as authoritative as Oxford deserves better.
Goes through fits of crashing on launch.
Bookmarks don’t sync across devices.
The paid version of this app cannot be shared using family sharing because ‘premium’ (aka the book) is an in-app purchase. Thus you must purchase a new copy of the dictionary for every family member who wishes to use it.
Instead of using a two-column design in landscape mode so we can see neighboring words it is only ever possible to view a single dictionary entry or a list of words.
The toolbar at the top of the screen changes continually while the app is being used instead of remaining static in its functionality. Bookmarking is relegated to a submenu for some bizarre reason in spite of it being a key feature of digital books.
The ‘home screen’ has about as many advertisements as usable app features even after purchase. The worst part about this home screen is that nothing is customizable by the user. It is a full-screen platform for the app developer to advertise to you. It is not a workspace for the user even though you have paid for a reference tool.
The app comes with a slow and unnecessary loading screen that displays the cover of the physical book shoehorned into the iPad’s display instead of appropriately re-drafted. It should have been re-rendered at the image level. Again, there should not even be a loading screen. iOS design uses the icon as the sole medium of introduction to any app. From the moment an app is launched it should begin to function. If a loading screen is necessary it is likely due to inefficient coding.
Update: it's still got all these issues. Nothing's changed as of iOS 13. In fact, it now crashes on launch even more often.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- iOS 11.2以降が必要です。
- iPadOS 11.2以降が必要です。
- iPod touch
- iOS 11.2以降が必要です。
- macOS 11.0以降とApple M1チップを搭載したMacが必要です。
- © 2020 MobiSystems, Inc.
- Oxford Dictionary of English ¥1,220
- Oxford Dictionary of English ¥610
- Monthly Subscription ODE ¥300