Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. This is the best iOS app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we’ve added new word games! It’s never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
Offline access: You’ll have complete access to definitions and synonyms whether or not you’re connected. You will need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
Selected as a "Best New App" by iTunes.
* Universal app
* No ads
* Full Thesaurus: more than 200,000 word choices, examples, and explanations
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* Favorite Word syncing through iCloud: Share your favorites between devices
* Apple Watch Extension: See Word of the Day, look up words with voice search, and keep track of your favorites from your watch
* Premium Content: over 1000 graphical illustrations, and over 20,000 additional entries covering people, places, and foreign terms
New dictionary and thesaurus entries.
Siri Shortcut integration.
Ratings and Reviews
Worth Paying For
I get use out of this app on my iPad and iPhone practically daily, and its combination of ease of use with extensive information and ready access makes it a winner for me. I consider the money I paid for it to be well-spent.
A Real Scam!
To people who are thinking of purchasing this dictionary. be warned. Learn from my experience. You pay ¥480 for it. They will, however, announce soon enough that it will no longer be supported. Then they will want you to fork out another ¥480 for the newer version. This was what happened to me. This is most unethical, not to mention a fraudulent act!
Not recommended at all! Go for Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary instead. It costs more but then you get pronunciation offline. These people at MW are very dishonest and have absolutely no integrity. Don’t let them fleece you out of your money!
Not recommended at all!
Still internet-dependent for pronunciation! Shame!
Strange that tons of unnecessary photos can be included but the necessary pronunciation file has to be downloaded for every single use of 📣 pronunciation click. No internet, no sound! What the lame excuse not to have the pronunciation an integral part of the dictionary. Wild search (e.g., ???ton or ?lig* not possible.) How anyone can justify buying your product when the free apps deliver these! Still, copy-to-lookup is not possible. Well, darn shame!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.