Built from the ground up in the rugged mountains of eastern Afghanistan, Tactical NAV comes from the mind of a U.S. Army Field Artillery officer who had a vision of creating a low-cost and extremely accurate mobile-targeting platform built specifically for U.S. military warfighters.
Tactical NAV’s journey began when two Soldiers were killed in the notorious Pech River Valley of Kunar Province, Afghanistan.
U.S. Army Capt. Jonathan J. Springer, a Fire Support Officer with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) who was on his third combat deployment, began developing the tactical platform immediately following the memorial services for Spc. Blair D. Thompson and Spc. Jared C. Plunk, who were killed in action on June 25, 2010.
After pitching the idea and being turned away by the Department of Defense, Springer remained resolute in his mission to continue building Tactical NAV in order to make a difference for other Soldiers and also honor the men that were killed in battle.
He ended up using his life savings to continue moving forward with the Tactical NAV project, all with the ultimate hope of saving U.S. military lives, and to help his fellow service members accomplish their mission at home and abroad.
Springer has also credited reading President Donald J. Trump’s book ‘Think Big and Kick Ass: In Business and in Life’ on his Afghanistan deployment for giving him the guidance needed to kickstart his business venture with Tactical NAV.
Tactical NAV officially launched on the App Store in February of 2011.
Tactical NAV’s mission is to provide U.S. military warfighters a low-cost, extremely accurate, and exceedingly powerful mobile tactical navigational solution.
Our vision is to assist and support our nation’s warfighters with their mobile navigational needs and to further enable them to fight and win in the Multi-Domain Operational (MDO) battlespace.
BUILT FOR ACCURACY:
Tactical NAV's performance is on par with the AN/PSN 13 Defense Advanced GPS Receiver (DAGR), and the application has been used to accurately and safely deliver conventional and precision-guided munitions (PGM) onto enemy targets in support of combat operations.
Purpose-built by warfighters for warfighters and created to save U.S. military lives, Tactical NAV was the first MGRS-focused tactical app on the App Store and has proven to be effective in both combat and training environments.
Tactical NAV has been successfully evaluated against other targeting devices and software platforms such as JCR, BFT, JBC-P, and ATAK, and its accuracy is within 1 to 3 meters of these "officially approved" systems that are issued by the Department of Defense.
• A military-quality precision targeting platform
• Purpose-built for the individual warfighter
• Offline mapping capabilities (full usage of the TACNAV platform with no emission of a cellular signal)
• WGS 84 standard (MGRS, UTM, BNG, and USNG coordinates)
• Tactical drawing mode (joint fires planning, building overlays, route planning, etc.)
• Waypoint plotting functionality with military graphics (per ADP 1-02)
• Compass “FastLock” function for capturing quick azimuths
• Snap and save photographs onto the main map for intelligence purposes and AARs
• Location, waypoint, and photo sharing capabilities (via email and text)
• One-button night mode function for low-light situations
• "Go to Grid" option for smart pinpoint planning and drawing of overlays
• Created and tested in combat to ensure utmost accuracy and reliability
• iOS native code built for austere and contested environments
• And so much more!!!
The Department of Defense does not endorse Tactical NAV, nor should it be used in combat situations in place of a government-issued device.
ALWAYS GIVING BACK:
All sales go into further development of the Tactical NAV platform, and a portion of all proceeds go to charities that support disabled veterans and their families.
• Fixed the sharing issue that prevented users from sharing overlays and events with other individuals
• Users can now share their overlays and events with other Tactical NAV users easily via email
• Started additional "backend" coding for future updates and releases
• Further stability and bug fixes
"Combat Tested. Military Grade."