Whether you're on a short trip to Thailand, working with Thais, or studying the Thai language in-depth, this is the one dictionary you can really use. 195,000+ entries (250,000+ translations), plus a built-in phrasebook with 300+ categories and 12,000+ words and full-text searchable, ready-to-use customizable phrases. Clear native sound recordings for every Thai word—even offline. Favorites screen lets you organize words/phrases in multiple folders. Includes both pronunciation guides (12 different systems) and Thai Script with the Thai and English text as big as you want. Includes a guide to speaking and writing Thai and other mind-blowing features for exploring the Thai language—nothing else even comes close!
== Listen to Any Thai Word
Touch any Thai word/phrase in any of our 195,000+ entries to hear a high-quality sound recording of a native speaker, not a toneless gravelly robot as found in other software—more than 29 hours of studio-recorded sound included. Long-press to hear 2x/4x slow playback with no change in pitch.
== No Connection Required and No Data Charges
Works even when you're in a taxi or a countryside street market and not connected to the internet: all entries and sounds are stored right on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, and you will incur no data charges when you use the app.
== Big Text and Clear, Clean Layout
Make the Thai and English text as big as you want—no more reading glasses! Easily scroll through multiple, complete definitions on the screen at once. Customize layout.
== A Dictionary Crafted for Those Learning Thai
Unlike typical dictionaries based on low-quality, free internet data meant for Thai natives, our superb dictionary entries are hand-crafted by Paiboon Publishing with your needs in mind: if you're not familiar with the Thai alphabet, you can even look up Thai words by their sound using an easy-to-read pronunciation guide system (12 popular systems are supported). Hear somebody say "sa nuk?" Type "sa nuk" to find out what it means. All Thai words in every section are written using both Thai Script and your chosen pronunciation guide system(s).
Unlike dictionaries meant for Thais, we clarify critical shades of Thai word meaning and formality using English explanations, we list crucial Thai classifiers for more than 60,000 noun entries, and we even notate syllable stress.
== Built-In Phrasebook
Beginner or advanced, communicate in Thai easily! 12,000+ phrasebook entries in 300+ categories like “Language Difficulties,” “Hotel,” “Renting a Place,” “Food/Drink,” “Price Haggling,” “Transportation,” “Health,” “Shopping,” “Sightseeing,” “Love/Romance/Sex” and even “Swearing/Insults.” Two-way conversational format helps both of you communicate.
== Introduction to Thai Included
More than just a dictionary, our software includes a comprehensive, interactive introduction to the Thai language, including a "Speaking and Understanding" section with clickable sounds and detailed grammar coverage, and a "Reading and Writing" section with all the consonants and vowels in multiple, real-world fonts.
== Unique Thai Learning Tools
This app is loaded with amazing, industry-first Thai learning tools. You can touch any word to find out which component Thai words it's made from: a great way to learn new words quickly. You can see any Thai word written in multiple real-word fonts you are likely to see on signs and menus. You can touch any Thai word to see a detailed interactive breakdown of how to pronounce each syllable (with clickable sounds that let you compare nearby sounds) or see a detailed visual explanation of its Thai spelling—indispensable for learning how to read and write Thai.
Nothing like this has ever appeared in any dictionary software on any platform.
== Buy ThaiDict Now!
Don't go another day without this indispensable tool! Enjoy free lifetime upgrades as we add more vocabulary and more features. Our website has more screen shots and much more information.
IMPORTANT: Please update your App Store reviews! Accurate ratings keep upgrades coming.
NOTE: If you prefer the old (pre-2.0) Alphabetical search interface instead of the new full-text Power search interface, just touch the magnifying glass icon at the top of the Search screen! See "Help" > "Using the App" > "Search" for full details.
VERSION 2.3 adds some cool new features and fixes:
- Real-World fonts fits more on-screen and lets you show/hide to focus on your desired fonts
- Explain Spelling help links bring you right to that vowel/consonant in Help
- Paiboon Keyboard key label size now adjustable
- Refined layout of UI for consistency with iOS 10
- More icons in Categories and Search for easier browsing
- Corrected capitalization of 2,100 scientific names
- Restores compatibility with iOS 5/6 and fixes iOS 7 rotation bug
- Several smaller fixes (see Help > Software Versions > 2.2/2.3)
- App Icon: 3-color ying-yang-yong back by popular demand!
VERSION 2.0 was a MASSIVE upgrade, more than three years in the making, including
- thousands of new Thai words and phrases suggested by you: now 195,000+ dictionary entries, up from 150,000+
- a new built-in phrasebook with 12,000+ complete, ready-to-use customizable phrases divided into 300+ practical categories like "Hotel," "Ordering Food," "Renting a Place," and "Price Haggling"
- a Favorites feature that lets you save and organize words and phrases you are learning in multiple folders
- full-text search that lets you find words in the middle of phrases (meaning that our new phrasebook also provides a rich source of sample sentences for many words), or you can choose the traditional alphabetical search from 1.x apps too.
- a built-in talking, translating currency and units converter that makes haggling in the market and shopping for land and hardware a breeze
- new "Explain Sound" support to help you get the most of Thai Sound search
- ability to hide pronunciation guides for those learning Thai Script
- an expanded Thai speaking and writing guide with new sections on date/time, grammar, and more
- a much more streamlined way to switch sections and keyboards simultaneously with one touch; both built-in and system (Apple, third-party) keyboards supported
- new auto-paste feature to save you touches when frequently copying words from other apps
- new "Copy Whole Entry" feature making it easy to export entries to flashcard and spreadsheet programs
- new "Custom URL Scheme" making it easy to launch our app from other apps and documents
As always, every word and phrase features a high-quality recording of a Thai native. Now you can even long-press to play Thai sounds 2x or 4x slow without any change in pitch.
There are so many new features that even experienced users should check out "Help" > "Five Minute Tour" and "Help" > "Software Versions" > "2.0"
best Thai dict ever
A powerful dict to speed up your learning in every possible way
I’ve been learning Thai for years and found this app is packed with useful features that are invaluable in helping the learning.
The key features I use most are:
· Audio pronunciation
· Search by sound(you can search word by type in the sound you hear, e.g. on radio)
· text display in many fonts(some frequently used fonts are tricky or confusing to recognize)
· quickly looking up of word(by URL scheme or automatic pasting. This greatly saves clicks and speed up using this Dictionary)
· easily organize new words into
Learning Thai especially for beginners is sometimes frustrating due to writing system, pronunciation complexity, word agglutination etc. etc.
But this App virtually helps you to tackle and conquer all these complexities with ease, making the price tag rather modest considering the benefit.
Very useful, and a great update!
I think I found this even more useful than my textbooks when I lived in Thailand. It was the only pronouncing dictionary for Thai that I was able to find. A key feature is the ability to search using English, Thai script, or any of several romanization systems.
Update: Version 2 is excellent, and one key feature is the addition of a LOT of place names. But it pays to take the time to read the help files. I initially had some problems looking for words like krʉ̂ang-bin. I wasn't able to find it, even though I had entered it exactly as in the Thai for Beginners textbook. Then I read that the textbook uses the Paiboon system, whereas the system I was using in the dictionary was Paiboon+, so I had to enter krʉ̂ʉang-bin.
If you're really interested in Thai, you shouldn't hesitate to buy this dictionary.
- Word in the Hand
iOS 5.1.1以降。iPhone、iPad、およびiPod touchに対応。
- © 2017 Paiboon Publishing Inc. and Word in the Hand Inc.