Mapping Memories Cambodia (MMC) is a Khmer Rouge place-based storytelling web and mobile application. MMC is a non-profit project implemented by the Department of Media and Communication of the Royal University of Phnom Penh, with support from Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and Civil Peace Service (CPS). MMC identifies and locates places of significance of the KR era on a Cambodian map, and guides users to places where history happened. The journey to the points of interest is led by storytelling in audio, video, text, and pictures. It aims to attract young Cambodians to learn about the KR history, and trigger a dialogue with their peers and family members. MMC also enable users/survivors to submit their stories and testimonies to the project team, allowing the ongoing collection of survivor’s testimonies and mapping places of remembrance throughout Cambodia. It shed lights on individual memory of everyday lives history of the Khmer Rouge Regime that seldom emerge in the common history narrative, creating space for public commemoration. MMC’s goal is to provide a platform that serves as the mechanism to open up the dialogue about Khmer Rouge History among the Cambodian youth and fosters cross-generational dialogue on Cambodia’s past violence, using personal story narratives in an interactive multimedia application. MMC has three platforms such as mobile application, web portal, and Facebook to achieve its missions that is listed down below:
- To create an informative storytelling application that tells place-based stories of the Khmer Rouge Era.
- To trigger the interests of young Cambodians in the Khmer Rouge History through recounting personal stories of survivors in relation to specific locations in Cambodia.
- To widen the access to Khmer Rouge historical information among the Cambodian youth
- MMC’s goal is to provide a platform that serves as the mechanism to open up the dialogue about Khmer Rouge History among the Cambodian youth and fosters cross-generational dialogue on Cambodia’s past violence, using personal story narratives in an interactive multimedia application.
- Fix minor bugs
- Improve performance
Ratings and Reviews
An app that triggers enthusiasm in self learning an important part of Cambodian history through its integration of mobile technology, user data generation, and exploration technique. Congrats to the team for a job well done!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Bun Y Ung
- 68 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2018. DMC All Rights Reserved
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.