With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before.
Instantly create Magic Movies
• With just a few taps, you can create and share a beautiful custom video
• Select an album or group of videos or images and iMovie will create a video for you — no video editing required — with titles, transitions and music
• Easily rearrange or delete clips in the simplified shot list
• Apply a different style to change the look and feel of the whole video
Learn storytelling with Storyboards
• Choose from 20 Storyboards that help you get started with popular video types
• Record video or take photos into each placeholder clip, or add media from your Photos library
• Add, reorder and delete clips as needed to organise and customise your story
• Apply a dynamic visual style that include title layouts, fonts, filters, colour palettes and music
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select videos and photos for your trailer or record video directly in iMovie
Create beautiful movies
• Choose from 8 unique themes with matching titles, transitions and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 13 Apple-designed video filters
• Choose from 11 animated title styles like Split, Reveal or Pop-up
• Adjust any title by changing its font, colour, size, location and more
• Add solid, gradient and patterned backgrounds to your movie
• Import and edit video captured in Cinematic mode on iPhone 13
• Add, adjust and delete focus points and modify the depth of field effect in video recorded in Cinematic mode*
• Easily add picture-in-picture, green screen and split screen effects
• Select from more than 130 soundtracks that automatically adjust to the length of your movie
• Add sound effects, songs from your music library and your own narration
• Connect a keyboard and use simple shortcuts to edit movies quickly
• Connect a trackpad or mouse to iPad for fast and accurate moviemaking
• Transfer projects between your iPhone and iPad using AirDrop or iCloud Drive
• Send projects to your Mac via AirDrop or iCloud Drive to finish editing with iMovie or Final Cut Pro
• Connect an external display to your iPhone or iPad and choose to mirror the iMovie interface or display your video full screen while you edit**
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Save to your Photos library in resolutions up to 4K at 60 frames per second***
• Export videos optimised for Instagram, YouTube and other popular video destinations
* Requires iPhone XS or later, iPad mini (5th generation or later), iPad Air (3rd generation or later), or iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later)
** External display support requires iPhone 7 or later, iPad (6th generation or later), iPad Air 3 or later, or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) or later
*** 4K at 60 frames per second support requires iPod touch (7th generation), iPhone SE (2nd generation or later), iPhone 7, iPad (6th generation or later), iPad mini (5th generation), iPad Air 3 or later, or iPad Pro 10.5-inch or later
• Get started, learn and be inspired by two brand-new types of video projects: Magic Movie and Storyboards
• Create a Magic Movie to instantly make and share custom videos with titles, transitions and music in just a few taps
• Select an album of photos and videos, and Magic Movie will create a polished video using your media
• Start with a Storyboard project to improve your storytelling skills using a template that guides you through the video-making process
• Choose from 20 Storyboards for common video projects like Cooking, DIY, Q&A, Product Review and Book Report
• Customise and organise your storyboard video by adding, reordering and grouping shots within the flexible shot list
• Learn different types of video framing and storytelling techniques with the shot tips provided in each type of storyboard
• Record video or take photos into each Storyboard placeholder clip, or add media from your Photos library
• Enhance your Magic Movie or Storyboard video with 20 dynamic styles that include title layouts, fonts, filters, colour palettes and music
• Go further by editing clips with tools like trim, split and clip speed
• Apply title treatments, record voiceover narration or adjust the depth-of-field effect in Cinematic mode video clips to further customise your videos*
• Import Magic Movie and Storyboard projects into a timeline in iMovie for Mac or Final Cut Pro to take your project further**
• Save Magic Movie and Storyboard videos to your Photos library, send to friends and family via Messages or Mail, or share with your followers on social media
* Requires iPhone 13, iPad mini (6th generation), or iPad Pro 11-inch or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later)
** Requires iMovie for Mac version 10.3.2 or Final Cut Pro version 10.6.2
Ratings and Reviews
I like it. Very much. But there is one litle problem you can’t add music in the middle of a video.
And you should add another ability with you are able to make intros. That would be awesome.
But it’s pretty much like you would expect.
10 years in development and still annoyingly limiting
The current version requires iOS 14 and therefore isn't compatible with iOS 12 I'm still running but I think why bother upgrading when this app sees only incremental improvements?
From numerous disturbing flaws let me single out one particularly dumb: while any other app both stock and third party allows you to change the default font and colour to a desired one iMovie won't let you do that. Need I say more?
I don't mind not having the green screen or other bells and whistles of its desktop counterpart but how could you overlook adding basic text appearance manipulation tools as is the case dealing with subtitles?
The UI isn't optimized for the small screen of iPhone SE, which makes the experience painstakingly cumbersome and time consuming: the useful workspace shrinks by half when the keyboard pulls up; the subtitles styles ribbon is cut off at the top.
It's 2021 and the excuse of it being a mobile app doesn't carry the day.
Only because of the variety of programs
This editing program was the only I worked with, but the amount of anger and rage I had with it was unbelievable. Why I didn’t choose anything else? Cause this is the only program I am comfortable with. Now the HUGE problem that led to me writing this review is the video on top of a video problem. You see, I almost finished editing the video with another layer on top of it. But (let’s call the video on top of another video a “facecam”) the “facecam” went out of sync with the whoole video (the facecam had cuts in it) and i wasted about 1 hour trying to sync it. What’s wrong with these glitches? They are making me INSANE! Please fix this so that people don’t look forward for any other editing programs...
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 618.2 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 15.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.3 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2013-2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.