This free app takes users on an extraordinary journey through more than 5,000 years of Greek history and culture. The app features select objects from over 500 exquisite artifacts — many that have never been exhibited outside Greece — from 21 major Greek museums.
The app has been developed as a complementary experience for visitors to the exhibition The Greeks – Agamemnon to Alexander the Great. Get a preview of some highlights of the exhibition, or relive some of your favorite experiences.
*Live the experience!
The Greeks – Agamemnon to Alexander the Great is a once-in-a-lifetime exhibition jointly developed by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture, Education and Religious Affairs and a consortium of four North American museums, led by the Canadian Museum of History.
The exhibition is visiting four major centres in North America over a two-year period, from 2014 to 2016.
Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Archeology and History Complex
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
December 12, 2014 – April 26, 2015
Canadian Museum of History
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
June 5 – October 12, 2015
The Field Museum
Chicago, Illinois, USA
November 24, 2015 – April 10, 2016
National Geographic Museum
Washington, DC, USA
May 26 – October 9, 2016
* Interactive timeline (iPad, macOS)
The timeline puts into context a selection of objects seen during a visit to the exhibition, according to important periods in the history of Ancient Greece.
* Special features
• Watch the video trailer produced by the National Geographic Society.
* Exhibition catalogue
The app is linked to the exhibition’s souvenir catalogue. Purchase the catalogue and take an extraordinary journey through more than 5,000 years of Greek culture, from the Neolithic Era to the age of Alexander the Great.
Also available in French
Hellenic Ministry of Culture, Education and Religious Affairs
Mr. Robert Peck, Ambassador of Canada to Greece and High Commissioner of Canada to the Republic of Cyprus
Dr. John Craig, Dean of The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Simon Fraser University
Mr. Jean-Marc Blais, Director General and Vice-President, Canadian Museum of History
The Greeks – Agamemnon to Alexander the Great app has been developed by the SNF New Media Lab (Stavros Niarchos Foundation Centre for Hellenic Studies, SFU) / Ready Labs Inc., in cooperation with the Hellenic Ministry of Culture, Education and Religious Affairs and the Canadian Museum of History.
Canadian Museum of History:
Terence Clark, Curator
Jean-François Léger, Creative Development
Kerri Davis, Research Coordinator
Cathy Mitchell, Project Management
Amber Polywkan, Research Assistant
Leah Iselmoe, Research Assistant
Sabrina Higgins, Research Assistan
List of lending institutions
1. National Archaeological Museum, Athens
2. Archaeological Museum of Argos
3. Archaeological Museum of Herakleion
4. Archaeological Museum of Mycenae
5. Archaeological Museum of Nauplion
6. Archaeological Museum of Chania
7. Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki
8. Archaeological Museum of Patras
9. Archaeological Museum of Delos
10. Archaeological Museum of Delphi
11. Archaeological Museum of Pella
12. Archaeological Museum of Rethymnon
13. Museum of the Royal Tombs of Aigai, Vergina
14. Archaeological Museum of Olympia
15. Numismatic Museum, Athens
16. Archaeological Museum of Thebes
17. Acropolis Museum, Athens
18. Archaeological Museum of Sparta
19. Museum of the Ancient Agora, Athens
20. Epigraphical Museum, Athens
21. Archaeological Museum of Kerameikos, Athens
22. Ephorate of Antiquities, Athens (Ephorates: regional services with responsibility for the protection of antiquities)
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.