If you love something, set it free, or so the saying goes. Pocket Casts has been a paid app since 2010 when it first launched. Back then we had a small company to run and people's families literally depended on us charging for our app. It was a business model that worked well in terms of paying the bills, but always caused confusion with our customers. "Do I have to pay again if I switch from a robot phone to a fruit based one?", "Why is the app paid?", "How can I recommend this to friends when it will require them to pay?".
Today, things are different. We have the backing of some amazing partners, all of whom come from, and firmly believe in, an open access model. For a while now we've felt that charging for the app conflicted with their core values of being open and available to everyone. Clearly we had to do something about it, and so in the spirit of Shifty Jelly of yore, we did. After many months of hard work, we introduce you to version 7.5!
If you want a detailed write up on everything that's changing and why it's changing please visit our blog (blog.pocketcasts.com). We'd love to share some highlights on here though:
- The app is now completely free, and every feature previously available in the paid version is still available in the free version.
- We've introduced a completely optional premium tier: Pocket Casts Plus. Among other benefits, Plus members get exclusive access to new themes and icons.
- You can now import your own audio files into Pocket Casts and listen to them sped up and with silences removed. Plus members can also upload these files to the cloud so they are available on all your devices.
- Improved account control. You can now do things like change your email and password inside the app, without having to go to the web.
- Performance enhancements and fixes. We spent a large part of this release focussing on performance and usability, tweaking and honing the app to make it our most refined release yet.
We hope you'll join us on this next stage of our journey. To all of you who haven't told a friend about us because our app was paid, now's your chance!
Beoordelingen en recensies
Hangs when another app takes over
When another app takes over, e.g. Safari playing a YouTube video, Pocket Casts ‘hangs’: the play/pause button doesn’t respond anymore. I’ll have to shutdown the app completely before I can use it again.
Beste podcast app
Ik vind dit gewoon de fijnste podcast app.
Profile synchronization Issues
Although I like the look and feel and customization and search options I found the synchronizing features very underwhelming for an app of this price.
It doesn’t auto import existing podcast as other apps do: Public Radio or Overcast.
It does sync between devices after creating a profile, however, filters or downloads are not updated. In my case this happened while trying to sync from my iPhone to my iPad.
I look forward to seeing improvements on profile synchronization across devices!
- Podcast Media, LLC
- 75.1 MB
Vereist iOS 11.0 of nieuwer. Compatibel met iPhone, iPad en iPod touch.
- Leeftijdskeuring 9+ wegens:
- Soms/Mild grof taalgebruik of grove humor
- Soms/Milde volwassen/suggestieve thema’s
- © Podcast Media LLC
- In-app aankopen
- Plus Yearly € 10,99
- Plus Monthly € 0,99
Delen met gezin
Tot zes gezinsleden kunnen deze app gebruiken als Delen met gezin staat ingeschakeld.
Doe meer binnen de app met slechts je stem.