A news reader for iOS with support for various sync services.
Reeder 4 adds new features like…
- The new Bionic Reading mode
- An in-app Read Later service which syncs with iCloud
- Image previews in the articles list (finally)
- Much improved article viewer
- More layout options
- Automatic reader view
- More shortcuts, matching the ones of Reeder for Mac
Supported sync services:
- Feed Wrangler
- The Old Reader
- BazQux Reader
If you want to use a self-hosted service, Reeder should work with services which use the Fever or the Google Reader API. Or just standalone RSS (without syncing) if you don't want to use any service.
Reeder 4 is also available for macOS.
Please note: If you rely on image caching, this feature unfortunately wasn't ready for the 4.0 release but it's in the works.
• Read Later shortcut actions for adding and getting items (iOS 13)
• More alternate icons
• URL autocompletion when adding a FreshRSS account
• Reader View
• Error messages for the new Read Later extension
• Missing back button in animation settings
• Missing favicons in Read Later account
• Various Read Later syncing issues
Beoordelingen en recensies
Pros and cons over version 3
+ very clean design
+ the read later and bionic reading option are very welcome
+ the ability to easily swipe down/up from article to article (as apposed to pressing the arrows or pulling) is a huge improvement in user experience in large phones
+ holding down on an article in a feed list now shows a buffer zone preventing the occasional accidental ‘mark above/below as read’ mix up
+ Image previews
+ search keywords in article list
+ Icon (yes.)
+ bonus: no subscription
- There are instances when scrolling does not register and there is overshooting. This happens on a baseline XS with large image previews (I believe this is FIXED in v4.0.01)
- Sliding back from article/feed view to list view now requires a longer swipe, which is noticeably less comfortable (FIXED in v4.0.1)
- Two fonts (Helvetica and Avenir) are replaced with Charter and Athelas. The loss of Avenir stings
- The in-app sharing services (pinboard, evernote, etc.) are no more. One has to click on the share sheet
- No image caching though the developer has stated this is on the agenda
I’m only bothered wrt the fonts. Some suggested future improvements
* Full text caching of read later articles for offline reading?
* Background refresh and notifications for updated feeds according to marked folders?
* The option for bionic speed reading?
Despite a few small hiccups Reeder 4 is again a solid 5 stars. I love it.
Best feed reading app available
Just does the job simply, beautifully, and effective.
Honestly this new version to me is just “Shut up and take my money”, as the developer should be rewarded for his work, without having any subscription available.
The best RSS reader
Well designed app with sensible defaults. Has many advanced features that make reading hundreds of RSS feeds a breeze, but those features will not get in your way if you only read a few.
Since version 4 the developer is a lot more active in making improvements and releasing updates.
Compared to other RSS apps (Lire, Fiery Feeds, Unread) the app is a lot less finicky and way easier to navigate and set up.
If I had to pick one app to install on my phone or advice to others, it’s Reeder.
Delen met gezin
Tot zes gezinsleden kunnen deze app gebruiken als Delen met gezin staat ingeschakeld.