The Birds of New Zealand app is an interactive version of the newly released Birds of New Zealand: A Photographic Guide by Paul Scofield and Brent Stephenson. This application has specific features that will enhance your birding experience.
● Universal app – the app will automatically take advantage of the larger screen when installed on an iPad.
● More than 1000 images covering over 360 bird species found in the region including distribution maps.
● Detailed and informative text covering identification, behaviour, bird calls, distribution and conservation status of the birds found in New Zealand.
● Audio of multiple bird calls for most species.
● A “Smart Search” that allows you to easily identify a bird using bird type, size, colour, physical features and habitat.
● You can select a region of New Zealand, so that the lists of birds throughout the app display only the birds in that region.
● “Bird Compare” that allows you to compare two birds on the same screen (including calls).
● A personal bird list that stores your bird sightings saved to the device and can be exported via email.
● View the Bird Index in New Zealand Common Names, Maori Names, IOC Names or Scientific Names.
*Uninstalling the program will result in the loss of your list, it is recommended that you keep your own master list separate from the program.
NB. This application WILL ONLY work on an iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad running iOS V6.1 or higher NOT A NORMAL IPOD CLASSIC/NANO.
Updated some content.
Fixed bugs and errors.
Ratings and Reviews
Comprehensive first effort, some refinements required
Good field guide, though expensive for this kind of app. Certainly a comprehensive collection of NZ Birds here. All the basic info, and a good selection of sample photos. Inability to search by common names is a minor inconvenience, and this would be a welcome addition. Some birds are listed under names less commonly used; though the other names are then listed on the entry, once you've found it. There are some errors that need to be fixed in this edition, such as having Greenfinch and Goldfinch photos on the wrong birds page.
A disappointing aspect of this app however is the apparently mildly racist undertones regarding for example the distinctions between Maori and English names, such as the following text 'Maori name - it is a lovely onomatopoeic name. English name - no other good English name has ever been proposed, and why should one have been?'. These odd and unnecessary remarks crop up on a number of entries and would best be omitted in subsequent editions.
Overall a good start. I look forward to future refinements, and it would be nice to see the above criticism addressed. Given the high price of this app, one would expect some effort will be put into support and further development.
Have been no updates in over a year and as mentioned in another review the green and goldfinch photos are around the wrong way, which makes me suspicious of what else might be wrong.
There are only one or two bird calls per species, not a good representation.
I only use this when I have no internet connection, otherwise there are much better websites.
Not worth it for the money.
Are we ever going to see a content update?
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.