Packaged foods can be surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules/calories. FoodSwitch has a database of packaged foods to help you identify those that are better for you.
In three simple steps, FoodSwitch can help you towards better health by reducing the salt, fat and sugar in your diet:
1. Scan barcodes of packaged foods with your camera;
2. See simple nutrition information on the food you’ve scanned;
3. See similar foods that are healthier based on established nutrition criteria.
4. Identify Vegetarian products easily.
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices.
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake and is great for people with, or being treated for, high blood pressure.
- GlutenSwitch is great for people with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance who are looking for gluten-free products.
- You can view the nutrition information in two modes:
1. Health Star Ratings – shows the overall healthiness of a product from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
2. Traffic Light Labels – if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat;
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised lists.
- Help us track the food supply by sending us pictures of new foods.
Download the app today and find out for yourself why respected health organisations around the world like FoodSwitch!
FoodSwitch is owned and operated by The George Institute for Global Health.
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit http://www.georgeinstitute.org/projects/foodswitch.
Product Comparison Functionality
Improved Product Scanner
Updated Product Database
Improved Healthier Choice Recommendations
Minor Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Helpful app for sure
App helps in making healthy buying decisions; yet someyimes da taste prevails.... ;-) maybe an idea for future upgrade? To add user definable taste rating?
It will only gets better as database grows. Users should help with that and critisizing current database size and then not adding to it is hypocritical.
Good work team!
Innovative app with little flaw
The layout of the app is excellent and the idea is innovative and takes the pain away from looking for healthier alternatives in your pantry. The barcode scanner camera is easy to use-you don't even need to press a button because it automatically picks up the barcode!A great idea to ask users to take pictures of the products they don't already have on the database of this app. The only improvement would be to get more products on the database and also to have more info about the nutrients/carbs/protien etc. when you look up a product.
Great - look forward to seeing the range increase
This is great, I just downloaded it and checked out everything in the pantry! It found all my items packaged in cardboard but not tins or plastic bottles. I hope the database keeps expanding to include these. Will certainly be using it the next time I go to the supermarket to save time reading the backs of packs.
- The George Institute for Global Health
- 90.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The George Institute for Global Health
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.