With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed into iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube and Vimeo at up to 4K resolution
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Sharing to iMovie Theater is no longer supported; save your movies and trailers to iCloud Photos to watch them on other devices including Apple TV
• For users with videos in iMovie Theater, the Theater window is now accessible by choosing Window > Go to Theater
• Improves quality of conversion for incompatible media files with very low resolution
• Improves compatibility when importing iMovie for iOS projects
• Improves overall stability
Ratings and Reviews
Packs a lot for a complimentary app
It's impressive that Apple has been able to deliver such a simple and uncluttered video editing experience to all its macOS users.
I used iMovie to create a university film project. iMove had all the functionality I needed save one seemingly easy fix: moving text. I'm not sure why Apple doesn't allow users to move text around the frame on iMove but alas, you have to make to with typing lots of spaces or fiddling with justification. I'm sure Apple could fix this quite easily.
In any case, iMove is surely the best 'free' video editor for Mac, if not on any platform. Give it a go.
Great for home movies
Of course, if you’re looking to create more professional films you should consider getting Final Cut Pro, but iMovie is great for those basic school projects and home movies, that are easy and intuitive to make. iMovie is simple, but also has the power to create great things.
this app is INCREDIBLE i used it to make my how to make macaroni and cheese i really recomend it to all the bakers who want to learn how to make ogres
- Apple Pty Limited
- 2.2 GB
macOS 10.13.6 or later
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.