Freely try the a, b, c phonics lessons before subscribing to access all 26 fun phonics lessons.
Learn Your Alphabet Sounds - NZ Accent features 26 five-minute phonics lessons designed to teach Kiwi children how to correctly hear, read and write the 26 alphabet letter sounds.
Suitable for children at the beginning stages of learning to read (4-6 years old).
THIS APP WILL TEACH CHILDREN HOW TO:
HEAR the 26 alphabet sounds
• learn each sound (a-z) in the initial position of a word (except ‘x’ where the sound is heard in words rather than at the start of words)
• learn some common words that start with the 26 sounds. Pictures are provided to motivate and also to support children who may not know the vocabulary.
READ the letters for the sounds
• read the letter for each sound by itself
• see the letter in a written word with a little picture to help them read the word
• identify the letter as fast as they can when it is presented with other letters in a fun fluency game
WRITE the letters for the sounds
• learn how to write the letter with their finger (If they form it the wrong way, they have to try again.)
SING a catchy song to help them REMEMBER the sound, the letter for it, a key word that is associated with it and learn the name of the letter.
• designed for New Zealand children
• a child’s voice makes the sounds and word associations
• familiar words of encouragement in Māori are used
• the vowel sounds are the New Zealand accented vowel sounds
• the letters are in line with the New Zealand handwriting curriculum
• pictures are provided for all content words (especially helpful for children with limited or no English vocabulary)
• thinking time is provided throughout the lesson to give an opportunity for the child to focus and for the learning to sink in rather than rush the learner too quickly from one element to another
• the children are reminded when they learn how to read and write each letter that they can use this in their own reading and writing
• the pictures and key words for the letters are compatible with the Yolanda Soryl letter/mnemonic phonics scheme which is available for free download here: https://yolandasoryl.com/downloads/ and is used in many New Zealand schools
• lower case letters only are used and reinforced (capitals letters are best learnt later after the lower-case letters are taught)
• characters are multiracial
• all food pictures are vegan
• the format and images selected are simple and clear without unnecessary visual distractions (helpful for learners with visual processing issues)
• the teacher or child can choose to do either the full five-minute lesson or to just do one shorter lesson element that needs reinforcing
• the child can repeat each lesson element as often as they need to by pressing the redo button
• this app has been successfully tested in New Zealand classrooms and enthusiastically received by teachers
• the sound files have been approved by the Speech and Language Department at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand
• the ‘Learn your alphabet sounds’ app has been created by experienced and renowned teacher and early literacy specialist, Yolanda Soryl
ALPHABET SOUNDS - LITE VERSION WITH SUBSCRIPTION OFFER
The Lite version allows the user to freely use all of the features outlined above for letters a, b and c. No ads are included. A 12-month subscription ($3.49NZD annually) will unlock access to the remaining 23 letters of the alphabet and their lesson.
Terms: Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and will automatically renew after 12 months unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. A current subscription may not be cancelled during the active subscription period; however, you can manage your subscription and/or turn off auto-renewal by visiting your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
For more information, see:
The only changes relate to amendments in the title, description and App icon.
Ratings and Reviews
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Phonics Training Ltd
- 287.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 0 to 5
- © Yolanda Soryl Literacy
- In-App Purchases
- 12 Month Subscription $3.49