MetService NZ Weather Features include:
- Morning, afternoon, evening and overnight icons for 47 forecast areas, set by our meteorologists, to help you plan your day
- Automatically see the forecast and observations that are most relevant to you, by enabling location services or choosing your suburb, town or city
- Customise your weather dashboard and the order of forecast modules
- 48 hour forecast graphs
- Interactive national temperature map
- Severe Weather Warnings and Watches for your location
- MetService TV updates for your region
- Real-time, zoomable Rain Radar for your area, with quick link
- 3 day, zoomable Rain Forecast maps
- Live Traffic Cameras for urban locations
- Widget available
Full terms and conditions regarding the purchase and use of MetService mobile applications are available here: www.metservice.com/about/application-terms
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
A barely functional mess
It’s functional. Poor interface design. Dated aesthetic but it gives me the weather most of the time (it gets weirdly confused about the location from time to time).
As someone who actually paid for this app, I’ve come to terms that I get served ads. But now it tells me to follow Met Service on Instagram. Follow the people that predict weather on Instagram. Why? I mean ... how does this benefit anyone - they’re a Government department aren’t they? If I wanted to follow them on Instagram, I would but why in the world would I? Why do they care about followers?
Who’s advising them? Please, I implore you - get them to think about human centred design - get them to think who this app is for (and paid for). It wouldn’t cost much to scrap this mess and start from scratch ... and give us an app to be proud of. Come on people, if not for me ... then for New Zealand!
Update to review
Original review: The old app was fantastic. I liked the content, layout and presentation - and the ability to personalise with photos. This new app has a horrible, dated design, causes my phone to freeze, makes it hard to check forecasts in other places and has ads in it. I can't think of anything nice to say about it.
Update: since the new app was launched, I have cycled between installing and deleting the app several times. Metservice has great content and while the website is good, an app is my preferred channel, so I’ve given it some more chances. It’s good to see the many improvements that have been made since it was first launched; it’s where it should have been on launch day.
I’ll probably end up deleting it again though and sticking with the website because of the little avatar. It’s minor but for me it’s an unnecessary design feature that has bugged me since its inception and now has baggage (and I have asked for it to be removable, at least, previously). I’ll try again in a few months.
Metservice make actions
I have to check the weather using this app on a regular basis for my job. Unfortunately most of the time it crashes and I have to turn my phone off to get it to work again. Its really annoying especially when your other updates don't seem to be doing much. When the app is working it does seem to be a sort of reliable source of weather predictor apart from using other weather predictor apps for working out what will happen. Also I agree with other comments that the original buyers of this app before it became free should be able to get adds removed. Come on Metservice make some actions.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Meteorological Service of New Zealand Limited
- 184.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Meteorological Service of New Zealand Limited 2017