• “Beautiful, haunting and completely original” - Kirkus starred review
• “Don’t miss this haunting, meaningful story” - School Library Journal
• “Gorgeous illustrations and beautifully paced interactive dialog” - Digital Storytime
• “a marvellous sense of craft, attention to detail, and genuine depth” - Apps Playground
• “a “must have” for teachers and homeschoolers” - The Appy Ladies
• Bologna Ragazzi Digital Award 2014 mention (Top 3 Fiction category).
From the creators of The Artifacts, Midnight Feast is a brand new, original picturebook of 44 pages created especially for the iPad.
This is a story for a wide variety of ages, about a girl called Roya who is excited to stay up late for a midnight feast. For younger readers, the scariest features can be turned off in the options page.
This story stands up well to close-reading, with notes and activities freely available online.
Themes include: drought, its impact on food security, imagination and escapism.
READ *MIDNIGHT FEAST* AND EXPLORE ROYA’S WORLD:
Any interactivity in Midnight Feast either moves the story forward, or it exists to create atmosphere or humour.
• Tap the screen to activate character dialogue
• Lots of rub-to-reveal scenes, to expose Roya’s imaginary alternative life
• Randomly generate strange recipes in “Dad’s Kitchen”, or movie titles in Roya’s home theatre
• Manipulate light effects
• hand-drawn artwork
• professional narration by American Matthias Bossi
• beautiful music score, composed by New Zealand musician Chris Hurn especially for this story
• narration plays automatically on each page
• narration can be turned off
We believe young readers deserve immersive, non-commercialised reading experiences even in the digital age, so we will never advertise new products from our main menu or from within the story. A web link to our other storybook app is accessible only from the options page. Links to teaching resources (on Slap Happy Larry’s website) appear on a separate page after the conclusion of the story. Midnight Feast does not glorify or promote highly processed junk food.
* We've added a parental gate for any external links in the app.
* Some minor bug fixes.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.