Full-featured and powerful image editing app for the Mac.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac features and technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions with ease. Once your images are ready, save them to popular image formats, share them via email or social networks, print them, or instantly add them to your Photos library. All right from Pixelmator.
The new Pixelmator 3.8 Phoenix is designed to integrate seamlessly with macOS Mojave's fresh and modern look, macOS Continuity features, like Handoff, iCloud Drive, and Continuity Camera, and it works wonderfully together with Pixelmator for iOS.
A powerful, pixel-accurate collection of selection tools
• Quickly and easily select any part of an image
• Edit and apply special effects to parts of your pictures
• Select and remove unwanted elements of your photos
• Cut out objects from one image to place in another
Top-notch painting tools
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness, and blending modes
• Adjust brush settings to get just the look you want
• Cover any area with beautiful gradients and color fills
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, remove or rearrange objects in a composition
• Blur, sharpen, lighten, or darken specific areas
• Reshape areas to subtly improve or give images a completely unexpected look
• Combine different tools and effects for an endless number of ways to refine your images
• Easily add, create, combine, and edit shapes
• Quickly add lines, circles, rectangles, polygons, and many more custom shapes
• Effortlessly apply shadows, fills, and strokes for more advanced shapes
• Create buttons, icons, web page elements, illustrations, and much more
A real effects machine
• Play with over 160 breathtaking effects
• Combine different effects for unique, near-effortless artistic creations
An elegant collection of professional-grade color correction tools
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast, and much more
• Replace and remix colors
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Easily add non-destructive layer effects like shadows, outlines, color, gradient fills, or reflections
• Combine a set of effects to create and save your own unique layer style presets
• Or just use any of the Pixelmator Team-designed layer style presets
• Apply any of the layer style presets using drag and drop
• Launch Pixelmator directly from Photos and save edits back to the original image
• Open and save images using PSD, JPEG, PNG, HEIF, TIFF, PDF, and many other popular formats
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Open and save 16-bits per channel images
iCloud, sharing, and saving for the web
• Let iCloud automatically store your edited images and seamlessly sync your work across all your Macs
• Skip manual saving of your documents thanks to Auto Save
• Email your photos right from Pixelmator
• Publish your images to social applications like Flickr, Twitter, and Facebook
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums, and more
Editing extensions for the Photos app:
• Retouch photos with powerful Pixelmator retouching tools right inside the Photos app
• Reshape images with Metal-based Pixelmator distort tools without leaving Photos
Built exclusively for Mac
Pixelmator uses a number of macOS features and technologies like Cocoa, Metal, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch, 64-bit, FaceTime camera, Automator, Full-Screen, built-in Sharing and much more. And Pixelmator’s beautiful interface and image editing engine are fully optimized for the MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Apple Design Award Winner
Best of Mac App Store 2011: App of the Year 2011
Pixelmator 3.8.5 brings a few more improvements and fixes.
• The palettes will now be shown only when a document window has focus and be hidden in almost all other cases.
• The palettes and windows would occasionally flicker. Fixed.
• When restoring documents or opening Pixelmator by dropping images onto the app icon in the Dock, the Welcome window would be displayed when it shouldn’t. Fixed.
• It was possible to open multiple Open dialogs. Fixed.
• It was possible to open both the Welcome window and the Open dialog. Fixed.
• Clicking certain areas of the Open dialog would not bring it in front of other windows. Fixed.
• The palettes would appear together with the Open dialog after choosing to open an existing image in the Welcome window. Fixed.
• The palettes wouldn’t appear automatically when opening or restoring files. Fixed.
• The Import window would sometimes be white. Fixed.
• The position of the Clone Stamp tool’s source crosshair would sometimes be incorrect. Fixed.
• With no open document, clicking the Pixelmator icon in the Dock would not show the Welcome window. Fixed.
• The Pixelmator > Services menu would not be dimmed when the Trial window was visible. Fixed.
Have any feedback about this update or Pixelmator in general? We’d love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Ratings and Reviews
Great, yet half-finished, product
I got Pixelmator 5 years ago. It was the bees knees. It promised so much. The one big drawback was not doing vectors. Forums started filling up, designers and hobbyists begging for vector support. Then, they added “vectormator” mode! But that joy was short-lived.
Unfortunately, while you can now play with vectors, you can’t save SVGs, or any useful vector format. It feels like the whole app is just a “trialware”, only there’s no full version.
I really wanted this to be great
Pixelmator is a good image editing program, light, clean and nice to work with.
However, to be honest whenever I try to use it I keep coming up against limitations. The latest, no "shapes" support - I can't create a nice simple rectangle with rounded corners. Last time, no bevel and emboss. Time before, no shadowing (although I managed to get the last from an unsupported third party add-on).
It really is a good program, however the fact it is missing some relatively basic functions is somewhat disappointing and means I really can't give it more than 3 stars. Hopefully things will improve, as it does have the potential to be a 5-star app with a little attention to these basic functions.
For the price, Pixelmator a fantastic application! It provides simple and yet intuitive image editing tools that you wouldn't expect in an app so cheap and so light. Pixelmator opens almost instantly and is very resource efficient, even on older macs.
It could do with some more features, which we will definitely see over time. However, with the insanely snappy speed and intuitive UI, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to do light or even borderline professional photo or image editing. It's layering system is very simple, it has a great choice of filters and image enhancers, and one thing I have noticed is it's very efficient at organizing and managing brushes, something I have always wondered why Photoshop, a $1500 software, lacks. In comparrison, Photoshop is definitely a more powerful application with plenty more features, however is equally as expensive and resource intensive as it is quite heavy on the OS. They both have their pros and cons, however I have found pixelmator to excel at some tasks which photoshop and other professional image editing applications cannot get results near as good.
This goes to show you should judge application not just by how powerful it is, but how you actually use that application to your advantage.
It's not 100% perfect, but what is?
All in all... clean, simple, intuitive, snappy, and very resource efficient. 5-stars. ;)
- UAB Pixelmator Team
- 112.2 MB
- Graphics & Design
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2007-2019 Pixelmator Team
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.