Offline public access maps of Aotearoa. Anytime. Anywhere.
Welcome to Pocket Maps, the app for safely exploring the outdoors on public access land in Aotearoa, New Zealand.
Pocket Maps is developed and owned by Herenga ā Nuku Aotearoa, the Outdoor Access Commission,
and displays a range of maps and layers that are also available on the Herenga ā Nuku mapping system.
Pocket Maps displays Public Access Areas derived by Herenga ā Nuku from cadastral information, which indicate what land is publicly accessible.
The app also contains tracks, recreation spots, huts and campsite layers which are maintained and owned by other government agencies.
• Publicly accessible areas in Aotearoa, shown by type
• Range of map layers for outdoor recreation
• Ability to generate elevation profiles
• Get coordinates and share
• Selection of high quality basemaps
• Offline map regions
• Find your location
• Draw and measure routes
New Features - Pocket Maps v1.5
• DOC Huts & Campsites - including locations, weblinks and photos. Provided by Department of Conservation.
• Hunting & Fishing Access Points – including locations, descriptions and weblinks. Provided by Fish & Game New Zealand.
• River & Coastal Access Points – locations, descriptions, and access information. For the Canterbury region only. Provided by Environment Canterbury.
• Tracks & Trails– including Te Araroa, New Zealand Cycle Trail, Department of Conservation and local council tracks.
• Default with Relief – New version of the existing default basemap that also includes a relief hillshade of Aotearoa’s terrain underneath for topographical context. This feature is only available online.
• Imagery with labels – An alternative version to the existing Imagery basemap which also includes dynamic labels for roads, addresses, places, regions and localities. This feature is only available online.
• Get coordinates – long pressing the map now drops a pin and generates coordinates for the pin’s location which can be copied to the clipboard or shared using your devices sharing panel.
• Elevation Profiles– allows users to click on a track in the app and see it’s elevation profile in the pop-up. This feature is only available online.
• Help page – updated to include offline help documentation for using Pocket Maps’s interface, tools and data.
• News and Updates page – enables Pocket Maps users to see communications from the developers about new Pocket Maps releases, layers, basemaps and offline data, as well as other general messages such as warnings, alerts and user survey links.
• Pop-ups – Pop-ups for all layers have been simplified for easier use with.
• Fields – fields for each layer have been refined and made easier to understand.
• Layer transparency – Public Access Areas layers now have increased transparency by default to ensure ease of use and ability to see underlying basemaps.
• Screenshots – allows users to take a screenshot of the map view and add annotations. These can be shared or saved to their device. Previously part of the “Measure” tool.
• Download map – offline area download interface improved to show download progress bar.
• New look and feel – simplified UI, tab names and colours with Herenga ā Nuku branding.
Ratings and Reviews
I just wanted to download a back up offline map but it won’t let me download the map. NZ Topo maps works better.
Designed to fail? Or just not field tested?
After years of stalling it’s great the WAC folks released this information as an app - to enable, as is people’s right - access via unformed legal roads, marginal strips, etc.
A key requirement is for the app to work offline. Because much of this app’s use is likely to be in the back blocks, stable offline maps are essential.
Sadly however the ability to download regions seems to often fail (spinning wheel of death), or once downloaded the download drops.
App needs to be seriously stability tested in the field, for the purpose of ensuring downloaded maps remain stored and accessible offline even if many weeks pass between app use.
Download Function & Route planner
Downloading an offline map wasn’t working and it needs a route planner. It would be brilliant if these both were available.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Herenga a Nuku Aotearoa
- 207.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © Herenga ā Nuku Aotearoa | Outdoor Access Commission