RNZ (Radio New Zealand) is New Zealand’s 100% ad-free, multimedia public broadcaster. Follow the latest breaking news, listen live to your favourite RNZ radio stations, programmes and podcasts and enjoy video or audio on demand - anytime, anywhere with the new RNZ app for iPhone.
The all-new app is clear and simple to use, with bookmarking, favourites, sharing and options to personalise your experience – including a great new play queue and player.
New features and highlights:
• Get breaking news alerts, video and live coverage on a homepage news feed
• Listen live to all RNZ’s radio stations – National, Pacific and Concert - plus the latest RNZ news bulletins, live blogs and live-streamed video
• All-new build eliminates crashes and bugs and ensures audio play reliability
• Live streaming sounds better than ever
• New design is clear and simple to use
• Easily discover all RNZ’s great programmes, podcasts and series, in their entirety
• Add whole programmes, podcasts or individual audio items to your play queue for listening later or downloading for offline use
• Favourite or bookmark to ‘My RNZ’ and easily find and listen to the latest content from all your favourite radio programmes
• Listen offline without internet access
The app was designed and developed in partnership with Alphero.
If you have any feedback, a feature request, or wish to report an issue, we'd love to hear from you. Contact us at email@example.com.
- Usability improvements mean it’s now easier than ever to use the RNZ app
- We’ve tweaked font sizes to make the app more accessible.
- Catch up on the latest news faster by swiping through stories
- Bug fix: we’ve tweaked the app so that you don’t accidentally swipe to the next article when reading.
Ratings and Reviews
RNZ is an excellent source of NZ and Pacific news, and it’s great to have it all present in one app.
Just a few frustrations: The ‘RNZ Player’ screen conceals the iOS status bar, so when the audio stream cuts out it’s not obvious if it was a signal strength issue or something else. It also hides the clock in the status bar. There are no space constraints so I just don’t understand this user-hostile design decision. Also, the app is not optimised for iPad; and the play/stop button icons are so small that from across the room you can’t tell the player status (again, frustrating for troubleshooting when the stream cuts out).
Developer Response ,
Kia ora, thanks so much for this feedback. I've passed it along to our developers for their consideration as we keep making design and feature improvements to the app.
Love the app, we are unable to get RNZ on the radio where we live but enjoy being able to use the app to keep up with what is happening in NZ.
Just lately we have noticed that the playback will often jump back a few minutes from the current live stream and then after some time jump forward. This has only started happening in the last few weeks so am assuming it’s a buffering problem, but wondered if you were aware of it? FYI Our internet connection is fibre . Thanks for the great app.
Content great, format ok
A well-written source for actual NZ news that’s not full of rubbish articles and mangled English. One improvement I’d love to see is an iPad-optimized version. My other very minor gripe is that when returning from an article to the main page, there’s an annoying pause and flicker as the page refreshes. It doesn’t happen in the ‘Top News’ section but does in other sections.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.