Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- Bookshare Books.
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive.
- Bug fixes and minor enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
This app has been kept current for over 7 years! I read much online content this way. Maybe a watch app might be possible?
But already I find it near perfect.
One of my "Must Have" apps
As a blind person who loves to read, I can still remember having to deal with bulky Braille books or expensive talking book machines.
Voice Dream Reader lets me carry dozens of books in my pocket, as well as reading me the latest news thanks to its Instapaper support.
I wish Apple would reach out and allow this app to access iBooks, but that's not in the developer's control.
This app has evolved nicely since its release. The developer is committed to adding valuable features and new voices.
The App Gets Better and Better!
Thanks for VDR. This app just gets better with every update. i particularly find useful the thorough documentation of every change within it. It's great to have access to such great tts voices on my iDEVICE. Equally great to know details of my documents - such as how long it will take to read them.
- Voice Dream LLC
- 150.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Voice Dream LLC 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Kari (Acapela Norwegian Voice) $8.99
- Olav (Acapela Norwegian Voice) $8.99
- Ryan (Acapela US English Voice) $8.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.