With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments, and create beautiful movies you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs
• Change focus points or the depth effect for video shot in Cinematic mode on iPhone 13 or later (requires macOS Monterey)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 fps for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import Magic Movie, Storyboard and Movie projects created with iMovie on iPhone or iPad into the timeline
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Export a video optimised for YouTube, Facebook and other popular video destinations
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
System Requirements: macOS 11.5.1 or later, 4GB RAM, 3.5GB of available disk space.
• Import Magic Movie and Storyboard projects from iMovie for iOS and iPadOS
• Includes stability and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Smooth, but not perfect
The smoothest on Intel Mac with integrated GPU. Unfortunately doesn't handle VFR videos well. I appreciate how fast it is to create something with audio and video transitions, titles and audio fade. Subtitle support would be a cherry on top.
iMovie is great and free but it has one major issue
Actually iMovie has a lot of potential, it is a really good video editor when you're starting. You get a lot of functionality while still getting an easy to understand and use layout especially for beginners. But! There's one huge issue, every MP4 video after new update released a week ago makes last 1-3s of audio just cut off from video which is unacceptable and you can find it working in ton of free software. I know iMovie is still free, but Apple you have an opinion of making bugless stable software, the fact users don't have to pay doesn't mean you can just forget about iMovie development. (Mac Mini 2018, Intel)
Can’t export movie in quality lower than "ProRes" since High Sierra
I don’t know what happed, but it’s seriously annoying considering users who don’t need raw, huge files… I just get an error during exporting "Low/Medium/High Quality". As a developer I think, you should take this issue seriously.
Lack of smaller time quantities (<0.1s) really hurts when you want to synchronize audio clip from GarageBand with its screen recording.
Also multiple "Picture in picture" feature would be useful. I know you want to use paid Final Cut, but it’s an essential feature.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 2.6 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 11.5.1 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.