Xcode includes everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Xcode provides developers a unified workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging. The Xcode IDE combined with the Swift programming language make developing apps easy and fun.
Xcode includes the Xcode IDE, Swift and C/C++/Objective-C compilers, Instruments analysis tool, simulators, the latest SDKs, and hundreds of powerful features:
Innovative tools help you create great apps
• Swift is an intuitive programming language that is safe, fast, and modern
• SwiftUI is a revolutionary framework to create user interfaces with a declarative Swift syntax
• Playgrounds are a fun way to experiment and interact with Swift code
• View debugging shows a 3D stack of all your app's UI view layers at runtime
• Split editors in virtually unlimited ways, show previews, or choose an assistant to see related content
• Live issues display errors as you type, and Fix-its improve your code with just a click
• Source control navigator and service integrations help you manage code across a team
SwiftUI and Interface Builder make it easy to design your interface
• SwiftUI uses declarative Swift code that clearly describes your interface
• Design canvas graphically builds UI views using the library of controls and modifyers
• Preview SwiftUI code or UIKit interfaces in different screen sizes, orientations, and font sizes
• SwiftUI code is always in perfect sync with the graphical design canvas and previews
• Animations are built using simple commands that describe the action you want to see
Professional editor and debugger keep your code front and center
• Refactoring makes it easy to modify the structure of Swift, Objective-C, C, and C++ code
• Open Quickly instantly opens any file within your project
• Data tips and Quick Look can inspect a variable by hovering your mouse over code while debugging
Instruments for performance analysis
• Compare CPU, disk, memory, and GPU performance as graphical tracks over time
• Identify performance bottlenecks, then dive deep into the code to uncover the cause
• Analyze your app directly, or sample the entire system with very little overhead
• Create custom instruments with unique visualizations to analyze your own code and frameworks
To test or run applications on an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Apple Watch all you need is a free Apple ID. To submit your apps to the App Store you must be a member of the Apple Developer Program. Some features may require Internet access.
Xcode 13.4.1 includes SDKs for iOS 15.5, iPadOS 15.5, tvOS 15.4, watchOS 8.5, and macOS Monterey 12.3, and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Still needs work
Sadly it still needs work before it becomes a proper IDE. Huge stability issues. Random bugs that get fixed by restarting. Clunky and hard to use.
The way apple treats the iOS development comunity is sad. The ammount of MAGICAL bugs that get fixed by deleting derived data, or another weird folder, or giving your mac a restart - is insane. When the top answers on stackoverflow sound like "have you tried closing it? restarting it? deleting derived data?" - you know you have a huge problem.
Build times are abysmal. Error reporting for Swift or mixed projects is a JOKE. Live views? A JOKE. Go and take a lesson from Unity's IDE.
And this has gone on for YEARS. Good thing Apple came out with new M1 chips so that this piece of garbage behaves a bit better. It's sad that only way xcode performance will be improved its because of the hardware team.
A lot of hard work has been put into Xcode lately. Swift 5.1 started to look strong and it will just get better from now going forward. Congratulations to the Apple teams that made this possible. There is room for improvements like build time and autocomplete but i'm sure there is just a matter of time till those will work flawlessly
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 12.6 GB
- Developer Tools
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 1999–2021 Apple Inc.