Welcome to the BALIKSG: Reflections of Singapore app presented by the National Heritage Board (NHB) and the National Parks Board (NPARKS) to commemorate the Singapore Bicentennial.
Have you ever imagined how Singapore was like when Sir Stamford Raffles landed or been intrigued by the history and legends of Fort Canning Hill?
BALIKSG promises an immersive experience for users, with mixed reality graphics that will transport you to a reimagined past dating back to the 14th century.
Embark on The River and The Fort Trail to watch history come alive at 16 augmented reality (AR) Discovery Points. Step through a portal and witness the signing of the 6 February, 1819 treaty which established Singapore as a British trading post, one of the most important events in our history. Interact with the beloved bronze sculptures along the Singapore River and listen to Singapore’s early settlers describe their lives. Drop in on an archaeological dig to uncover secrets about Fort Canning Hill’s past.
WHY GO ON THE BALIKSG TRAIL:
• FREE: It’s completely free, and does not contain any in-app purchases.
• ACCESSIBLE: The trails are centrally located and conveniently accessible by public transportation.
• HISTORICALLY ACCURATE: Storytelling is based on extensive research and endorsed by the National Heritage Board and National Parks Board.
• EDUCATIONAL: Watch scenes from history textbooks come to life at the very location history was imprinted.
• INTERACTIVE: Using the latest in AR technology, the app reproduces a creative interpretation of actual historical events at each touchpoint of the heritage trail, for a thoroughly immersive experience.
• CLOCK YOUR DAILY STEPS: Put on your walking shoes and go on a trail back in time!
• MOMENTO: Collect all the jigsaw pieces at each AR discovery point as a memento.
• The information provided in the BALIKSG mobile application is designed to provide helpful information on the history and heritage of Singapore through a creative interpretation of past events. While extensive research has been done to depict historical events and persons of interest as accurately as possible, certain characters in the app are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
• To fully experience the augmented reality features of the app, users are advised to use BALIKSG in the day, but avoiding the hottest hours between noon to 3pm. Please wear comfortable walking shoes, have an umbrella handy and stay hydrated!
• For a more realistic AR experience, use this app on iPhone SE, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7Plus and newer models, iPad (5th and 6th Generation), iPad Pro (1st Generation) and newer models, on iOS 11.0 or later.
• For a basic AR experience, use this app on iPhone 6 and newer models running iOS 10 or later.
• Use BALIKSG while connected to a network to improve the accuracy of GPS. You can still use the app offline, but location information will be less accurate, and some functions may not be available.
• Users should enable location information on their devices in order to facilitate accurate way-finding.
• Data charges may apply.
-River Trail Articles
-Fort Trail Articles
-Fort Trail Forbidden Spring Hotspot
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app!! Me and my kids love it.. as we are able to view the histories via the AR technology. Not just the AR, we get to view the interesting tidbits while walking to the next location.. 👍🏻
Cool concept but the app keeps crashing!
App needs to be updated. Got to Fort Canning and it wouldn't load - instant shut down. Cannot redownload unless connected to WiFi, well there's no wifi in the park. My kids managed to scan the first point, after which one of their’s died. At point 2, another app died. By point 3 no one had working apps. Disappointed.
Uses up a lot of battery
This app takes up 50% of my phone’s battery and makes my phone very hot too!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.