Designed for iPad
This is an app that allows you to analyse gel (both agarose and PAGE) bands from images, with a log graph automatically generated from the markers. It allows automatic detection and loading for future uses. Utilising Gabor filter, this app allows users to improve detection of bands automatically. For poor quality images, users can click can manually draw a box on the desired band or click on the image to determine the specified location.
Images can be loaded from gallery or dropbox, making it very convenient. Best images are those generated through scanners, but will function with well taken photos from the mobile cameras.
Photos should be taken on a direct plane with the gel.
Features of this app includes:
1) Specification of agarose or PAGE.
2) Colour identification of marker bands for PAGE.
3) Advanced imaging filters - Gabor.
4) Automated image processing with customised user input if necessary.
5) Saving of settings for image processing for future convenience.
6) Saving of markers for future convenience when using the same markers.
7) Simple and button based user interface.
8) Automated detection of bands.
9) Simple user-defined boundary box.
10) Log graph of marker automatically generated.
11) User defined location of specific bands.
12) Compatibility with screenshot functions of analysed gel and log graph smartphones and tablets for publications or reports.
13) Readings displayed in gel image with highlighted boxes and calculated band size.
14) Cropping function for images prior to analysis.
15) Edit function to remove unwanted bands.
16) Different coloured boxes for markers and bands.
17) Simple direct access to dropbox and gallery for images.
18) Compatible with Sybr Green, EtBr agarose gel analysis.
Benefits of using this app for publications
1) Brings greater accuracy to your gel analysis instead of relying on approximations.
2) Value adds to publications and reports.
3) Useful teaching tool to science students.
4) Streamlined analysis, reducing human error and subjectivity - you can now trust the values reported by trainees and less experienced staff!
5) On the go analysis with the smartphone/tablet.
6) Automated analysis - no need for graph paper and tedious plotting.
7) The app is FREE!
8) The app is self-contained, no internet access needed (unless for dropbox analysis).
To cite using APA, please use: Sim, J.Z., Nguyen, P.V., Gan, S.K.E. (2014) GelApp: DNA&Prot Gel Analyser v1.0.
This app is a product of the Antibody & Product Development Lab, Translational Research Division, Bioinformatics Institute, Agency for Science, Technology, and Research, Singapore.
Creators are: Mr SIM Jia Zhi, Mr NGUYEN Phi Vu, and Dr Samuel GAN.
(Poly intern) (Research Officer) (Team leader)
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Improving the auto processing feature by incorporating optimal sequence of filters.
Fixing some layout issues for iOS 9.2.
Ratings and Reviews
A good apps
Very good effort
Not compatible with latest device at all, disappointment.
The developer, Samuel Gan, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Samuel Gan
- 5.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © BII-APD Lab