Octal is a modern, full-featured Hacker News (news.ycombinator.com) client built with a focus on design, speed, and usability. Octal has all the features you'd expect from a Hacker News app, including the ability to sign in to your account, upvote, post, and more!
• Read and share Hacker News stories, sorted by 'Top', 'Best', and 'New'.
• Browse comments in a fully-threaded, collapsible comments view. Quickly jump to the next top-level comment thread with a single tap.
• Submit new posts to Hacker News.
• Upvote stories and comments you like.
• Reply to stories and comments. Edit or delete your recently posted comments.
• Save stories and comments to your favorites, accessible from your user profile.
• Search Hacker News, and sort search results by relevance or date.
• Browse user profiles, including their karma, about, activity, and favorites.
• Filter stories by minimum score and/or minimum comment count.
• Enable 'Night Mode' for a beautiful, first-class dark theme. Try 'Auto Night Mode' to automatically toggle 'Night Mode' according to your screen's brightness.
• Turn on 'True Black' to use a pure RGB #000 background color for 'Night Mode'. Perfect for OLED displays like those on the iPhone X, Xs, and Xs Max.
• Open articles and links in your web browser of choice, including: Safari In-App, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Firefox Focus, DuckDuckGo, or Brave. If selecting Safari In-App, optionally open links in 'Reader Mode'.
• 3D Touch stories to quickly preview articles or share them via peek quick action.
• Choose from Full, Compact, and Minimal post layout sizes.
• Increase or decrease the text size to one that's comfortable for you, or enable 'Dynamic Type' to use the system's 'Larger Text' font size.
• Browse in either portrait or landscape orientation.
• Open Hacker News web links in Octal using Opener.
About Octal Premium:
To unlock advanced features, including the ability to post, comment, favorite, use Night Mode and customize your browsing experience, you can buy Octal Premium via an In-App Purchase. There are no recurring fees, and purchases support the development of Octal, which is developed solely by me!
About Hacker News:
Hacker News is a social news website focusing on computer science and entrepreneurship. It is run by Paul Graham's investment fund and startup incubator, Y Combinator. In general, its content can be submitted is defined as "anything that gratifies one's intellectual curiosity".
Found a bug or have a feature request? Create an Issue on Github, or e-mail me: https://github.com/dangwu/Octal/issues
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
- Daniel Wu
- 13.4 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- © 2019 Daniel Wu
- In-App Purchases
- Premium NT$ 100
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.