Octal is a modern, full-featured Hacker News (news.ycombinator.com) client built with a focus on design, speed, and usability. Octal has all the features you'd expect from a Hacker News app, including the ability to sign in to your account, upvote, post, and more!
• Read and share Hacker News stories. Tap or swipe between 'Top Stories', 'Ask HN', 'Show HN', 'Best Stories', 'New Stories', and 'Jobs' filters. You can drag and drop filters to rearrange them to your desire.
• Upvote stories and comments you like, and favorite stories to save them for later.
• Browse comments in a fully-threaded, collapsible comments view. Quickly jump to the next top-level comment thread with a single tap.
• Submit new posts to Hacker News.
• Reply to stories and comments. Make a mistake? Edit or delete your recently posted comments.
• Log in to Hacker News to easily track your karma, activity and favorites.
• Search Hacker News, and sort search results by relevance or date.
• Browse user profiles, including their karma, about, activity, and favorites.
• Filter stories by minimum score and/or minimum comment count. You can also limit the total number of stories to display.
• Total Dark Mode support. Turn on 'True Black' to use a pure RGB #000 background color for Dark Mode - perfect for devices with OLED displays. You can also set the appearance to Light or Dark mode instead of following the system's appearance setting.
• Open articles and links in your web browser of choice, including: Safari In-App, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Firefox Focus, DuckDuckGo, or Brave. If selecting Safari In-App, you can optionally open links in 'Reader Mode'.
• Touch and hold (or 3D Touch) stories to quickly share, favorite, reply, or upvote them.
• Choose from Full, Compact, and Minimal story layout sizes. If you're a text-only kinda guy or gal, go Minimal!
• Increase or decrease the text size to one that's comfortable for you, or enable 'Dynamic Type' to use the system's 'Larger Text' font size.
• Browse in either portrait or landscape orientation.
• Open Hacker News web links in Octal using apps Opener. Most Hacker News deep links starting with octal:// can open with Octal!
• No ads!
About Octal Premium:
To unlock advanced features, including the ability to post, comment, favorite, and further customize your browsing experience, you can buy Octal Premium via an In-App Purchase. There are no recurring fees, and purchases support the development of Octal, which is developed solely by me!
About Hacker News:
Hacker News is a social news website focusing on computer science and entrepreneurship. It is run by Paul Graham's investment fund and startup incubator, Y Combinator. In general, its content can be submitted is defined as "anything that gratifies one's intellectual curiosity".
Found a bug or have a feature request? Create an Issue on Github, or e-mail me: https://github.com/dangwu/Octal/issues
• Fixed crash that could occur when searching.
• Fixed title getting cut off on iPhone SE (1st generation) devices.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
- Daniel Wu
- 12.7 MB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2020 Daniel Wu
- In-App Purchases
- Premium NT$ 100
- Kind Tip NT$ 70
- Generous Tip NT$ 170
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.