Inspired by the concept of the “fourth branch of government,” the mobile app 4b was designed to be a safe place for healthy debate. Built on the ethos of “we-the-people,” the 4b is start-up challenges the status quo by creating a space for well-written articles on controversial topics that are original, to-the-point, and validated extensively with proper references.
On 4b, you’ll find fresh editorial content that cuts through the closed information bubbles of mainstream online news sources (or worse, fake news). In contrast, we welcome all voices with a unique perspective provided that the content has been properly referenced, fact-checked, and verified by our diligent editorial team. The app stands out in that it is apolitical. Adhering to the classic principles of free speech and integrity-driven journalism allows the reader to decide where they stand on issues and controversial topics free from the pressures of bias. On top of this, our team of editors is always on call ensuring that due diligence has been done regarding fact-checking and verifying the credibility of sources cited.
Once an article is live on the site, all readers on the forum can engage with the content directly, either through political debate, upvoting, commenting, or tagging other @users. Each day, the top 4 most upvoted articles are ranked and pinned to the top of the feed. Fundamentally, 4b creates a space for inclusive discussions where multiple viewpoints can be discussed on thought-provoking, civil terms without ridicule or divisiveness.
Access the Top 4 Trending Topics on the platform daily
Vote, comment, and tag other users in the article’s thread
Create a profile with a personal photo and bio
Follow (or unfollow) anyone on the platform
Create group chats of mutual followers
Automatically keep track of your upvotes, comments, and votes in the “My Activities” section of your profile
Allow other users to view your profile or set your account to private (where only people whom you accept as followers can view your activity)
Manually delete activities you do not want others to see
Chat privately with followers whom you follow back
Save your favorite articles under “My Topics” and create custom categories
Change your category interests in your settings at any time
Report inappropriate or derogatory content or comments
Upgrade for additional features
ENGAGE WITH EDITORIAL CONTENT DIRECTLY
As an individual, you can engage with the content, discuss topics, and share thoughts privately if you wish. That means no one will see your upvotes, comments, or activity if you do not approve it. Whether you choose to set your profile private or public, you can still engage in community activity and speak your mind. This shows the activities of people that you follow (if their profiles are set publicly). Likewise, community posts show user-generated content from users that you follow, helping you access more content relevant to your top categories. Remember, you can reset your privacy settings or categories at any point.
USE “BRANCHES” AS CURRENCY
All users can post a picture and text; however, this costs them “1 branch” to post. Premium users are allowed one free post per day. There are several ways to earn branches. For example, let’s say you refer a friend; for each new user who redeems your code, you redeem a branch. You can spend one branch by voting on two articles. You can also earn a branch by getting ten upvotes on your comment. You can also purchase branches or redeem them for merchandise or to create a user post.
With premium membership ($3.99/month) you get a bonus of 4 monthly branches to use at your discretion, a freely daily post, and an ad-free experience.
Interested? Download 4b today for reliable editorial content that challenges the status quo.
My post, messaging features, other visuals, performance enhancements, and minor bug fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Super informative & exciting
I love learning about other viewpoints. And I like that you can have access to such a diverse range of viewpoints without all the Twitter rage and Facebook feuds. This seems to be a new platform that will reinstate the desire for deep debate among those who fundamentally disagree. Sign me up! Also, the fact that you can vote on what side you align with more and curate your profile that way is really a fun feature. Like the Instagram of ideas. Love it!
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your feedback! We have some exciting things coming down the pipeline. Stay tuned!
GREAT concept, disappointing execution
I LOVE the concept. Polarization is a real problem and the media is failing us by being both biased and deceptive.
The app fulfills its promise of being unbiased by providing an affirmative and negative perspective on each issue. It does a great job of presenting each issue as undecided so you can form your own opinions.
However, it fails in three critical ways.
In descending order of importance:
1. It does not explain the cheap tactics each side uses to straw man and denigrate the other. Knowing the messaging tactics of each side would go a long way to helping people resist the pull of agenda bearing media outlets.
2. It does not focus on the most controversial, divisive issues. Those should be front and center.
3. It does present the BEST form of each argument. It’s helpful to get an idea of why the perspective of one person who stands for one side of the issue, but unfortunately reading the opinions in the app feels like reading cheap arguments written by high school debaters. They cherry pick stats and anecdotes that support their points rather than getting to the heart of the issue. There is no way to see how each side would respond to the opinions of the other.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As a growing startup, all feedback is helpful in providing a valuable and intuitive experience for all users. To provide a little context and respond to your 3 points please see below:
1. Staying neutral as a platform is critical, and as a consequence we must allow users to make up their own minds. Our job is to equally represent the most common points used by both sides, not tell the users what is right or wrong. Our unique and intuitive presentation arms users with a much bigger view of an issue, limiting the effectiveness of cheap tactics.
2. US news is one of 13 different categories we are constantly producing content for. What constitutes the most controversial and divisive issues is different for different users. We actively produce a diverse range of content for our users, along with trending news and topics.
3. Our platform is built on short, concise articles from both sides. This is by design to accommodate busy lifestyles that are limited on time. We do cite and hyperlink for further reference. Our diverse group of writers research what the majority of people believe on a specific position and reflect that in their writing. These are not personal opinion pieces, these are a reflection of the majority of public opinion in a fact-based short-form format.
Again thank you for the feedback, we will take all your points into consideration as we continue to develop and grow the platform. Feel free to reach out directly with any suggestions or concerns (firstname.lastname@example.org), and thank you for your support in helping bring people together!
One of its kind news/opinion collection.
4b is a truly unique experience in today’s divisive and polarized world where most of us only get information from one side of the ideological spectrum. I especially appreciate the comments section and the ability to converse with others, regardless of their point of view.
Developer Response ,
Than you so much for taking the time to share your feedback!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Amir Shiekh
- 74.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2021 4b
- In-App Purchases
- 5 Branches $3.99
- 1 Branch $0.99
- 22 Branches $15.99
- Premium Membership $3.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.