This unique English alphabet app designed by Deakin University researchers specialising in literacy education aims to support children beginning to learn letter-sound relationships. Tested with Australian primary school students, the unique ‘form-taking’ images used in this app have been found to be more effective at assisting children to learn common letter-sound relationships than images that are not form-taking. A to Z Safari has been designed as an electronic application to complement classrooms.
- A variety of ‘Match’ and 'Memory' based games specially designed to teach children to associate the sound, shape, image, and fonts with each letter in the English alphabet.
- A password-protected Admin area where students can be assessed and their results recorded using the Match game. These results can be emailed to the teacher in a spreadsheet, or viewed in the Reports page.
- The Reports page allows you to view detailed charts to better visualize the collected statistics and progress of students, both as individuals and as a class. An excellent tool for teachers throughout the school term and for end of term reports, and equally useful for parents for learning while at home.
- The outdoor/indoor Explorer game mode, where students must scan QR codes that have been placed on real-world objects by the teacher. Have your students be physically active while learning at the same time, your students will love it!
- A Gallery mode giving students a chance to interact with the shapes and sounds of the English alphabet in a fun, self-paced environment.
- A printable A3-sized alphabet chart accompanies the app in the Admin area that can be displayed for students' reference outside of game play.
We are always happy to hear from you, so feel free to contact our Lead Researcher, Maria Nicholas, for your research queries (firstname.lastname@example.org) or our Lead Programmer, Aaron Spence, for your technical queries (email@example.com), or drop us a rating in the App Store.
- Minor bug fixes and performance enhancements.
- New features are on the way!
- Deakin University
- 56.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation), and iPad (7th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Deakin University
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.