Accio dictionaries and phrasebooks give you just the words you need.
Use this app on iPhone or iPad to access thousands of common Dutch and English translations, and listen to more than 800 words and phrases recorded by native speakers, with no internet connection required.
• More than 64,000 entries and 250,000 translations
• Parts of speech
• Dutch noun genders
• Tap any word in the dictionary results to look it up
• Find results as you type with quick search, or browse alphabetically
• Multiple translations for many entries
• Return to recent searches with history
• Browse categories or search for specific phrases
• All phrases include audio recorded by native speakers in addition to the text display
• Return to recent searches with history
• Easily change search direction with bidirectional look-up
• Use the volume controls to adjust play volume
Phrase categories include basic conversation, lodging and restaurants, emergency and survival, time, date, and number vocabulary, sightseeing and nightlife, shopping, transportation, and more.
Other Accio dictionary and phrasebook apps are available in combinations of Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
Please let us know what you think of the app by leaving a review. Telling us what you like about your Accio apps helps us make them even better in future updates.
Accio apps are designed for effortless navigation, created with attention to detail to be simple and satisfying to use.
On twitter: @accioapps
• Support for iOS 12
• Support for iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR
• Miscellaneous bug fixes and data updates
Ratings and Reviews
Surprisingly complete; nice usage cues
I bought this app primarily because it was considerably less expensive than the well-known brand NL/EN dictionary (which weighs-in at around US$25 as I write this). I believe I made the right choice. The Accio app is nice looking, functional, and priced right.
One pleasant surprise was the usage cues. For example, the English word "grade" might have many different Dutch words that cover the various shades of meaning. The Accio app provides one-word English cues (or clues, I suppose) as to which version you want; for "grade" (noun) you'll see that "cijfer" is "grade" in the context of schools, while "kwalitiet" is "grade" in the context of goods and services. These cues are provided in my printed Dutch/English dictionary as well, but not anywhere near to this extent.
The completeness of the reference was quite good as well; empirically, it certainly seems more complete (more words) than the typical "miniwoordenboeken" (mini dictionaries) one finds.
The only areas where this app leaves a bit to be desired is that nouns don't explicitly include their definite article* (de vs. het) like a standalone Dutch dictionary; then again, most cross-language Dutch dictionaries don't (for reasons that completely escape me). Also, verbs don't include the two "standard" conjugations (past and present perfect). Again, cross-language Dutch dictionaries generally don't have this either, but if Accio (or others) did, it would mostly eliminate the need to have a standard Dutch-only dictionary at-hand for those (like me) who are using these resources to study Dutch as a secondary (auxiliary) language.
* It is worth mentioning that the Accio dictionary does include the gender for nouns: m, v or o, for mannelijk (male), vrouwelijk (female) and onzijdig (neuter). Thus, one should know that "de" is the article for m/v (male/female) and for all plurals, and "het" for o (neuter) singulars.
Finally, performance is just a tad bit slower than I'd ideally like to see. Searching for words is fast; the results are instantaneous. But touching a word from the match list to call-up the actual dictionary listings involves a slight delay. Admittedly it's very slight, but when using the app for extended periods, one begins to wish that there was no delay.
All in all, a great app, and a great value. Well done!
- 72.6 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Accio
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.